Thread: Belt Slipping?

Thanks

Belt Slipping?

I had the xuv 550 out yesterday and got it covered in mud. I pulled it in the garage last night and washed it off.

When pulling it out the garage, to take it back to the barn, it didnt want to move very well. It started and ran fine, but just moved really slow. I was thinking that the belt probably got wet and was slipping???? I got it to the barn (slowly) and just parked it because it was getting late.

Is this common when the belt gets wet? Or did something else happen? Should I have done some thing different when washing it? How do all the gators go thru huge, deep puddles of water and not have a belt slip?

Maybe my problem is not the belt slipping? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks
    Just sounds like the belt was wet, very common. I just slip the belt hard till it starts to grab and everything is back to normal.
    2005 HPX, My add ons ( w/OPS, XUV wheels,1 1/2 inch spacers front & rear, at489 tires, 3000 lb winch, body armor spray in bedliner,self made one peice windshield & roof, homemade snowplow.

Thanks
    My 550 has been quite resistant to getting the belt wet during operation. There is the clutch/belt cooling air exhaust at the rear under the dump bed. One squirt with a hose up into it and you could have gotten things wet.

I had a gas golf cart. The be1lt and clutches were almost totally exposed so they got wet occasionally. It would always move but sometimes you could hear & feel it slipping. Luckily when it slips the friction usually dries things off in about 10 seconds. If you babied your Gator it might take the belt longer to dry but if I were climbing out of a creek valley and it started slipping I'd be inclined to just step on it and cook off the water.

Thanks
    I am thinking I must have gotten some water down in there somehow. I did just baby it back up to the barn because it was late, cold, and dark. It acted better by the time I made it in the barn, but I didnt check anything out.

How does the belt not get wet when going throught deep puddles and creeks like I see on the advertisments and you tube videos? It seems like their belt would get wet and slip? I may have sprayed a little water in there, but no where near what would happen if i was to go deep water.

I am kind of new to the gator and belt drive, so insight and suggestions will help.

Should I cover something up when I wash it?

Thanks again for your help and thoughts.

Thanks
    If and when it gets wet and starts slipping just giver gas and dont be afraid it will come back to life almost instantly unless it is submerged in a deep puddle or creek then I hope you have a winch to get out. But even then once you are out just giver gas and the water will leave el pronto.
    2005 HPX, My add ons ( w/OPS, XUV wheels,1 1/2 inch spacers front & rear, at489 tires, 3000 lb winch, body armor spray in bedliner,self made one peice windshield & roof, homemade snowplow.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sidebite View Post
    ...How does the belt not get wet when going throught deep puddles and creeks like I see on the advertisments and you tube videos? It seems like their belt would get wet and slip? I may have sprayed a little water in there, but no where near what would happen if i was to go deep water....
    There is a gasketed plastic housing around the clutches and drive belt. The air intake is in the same plastic housing as the air filter. The cluthes get their air on the drivers side. Then there is a opening about 4" square in the rear for the air to exhaust out. The front intake is well protected and so is the exhaust when driving forward but it's wide open to hit with a hose during wash down.

Next time you're at the Gator crouch down in back and look on the driver's side up under the bed (leave the bed in the closed position). You may need a flashlight but you'll see the clutch cooling exhaust opening and if you shine your light in there you can see the top of the belt and edges of the rear/driving clutch pulley plates.

Last edited by Dane; 11-24-2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: added photo

Thanks
    On that rear vent it would have been great if they could have put a nice "S" shape to it with a drain at the bottom so any splashed water that got in would not make it to the belt

Thanks
    Thanks for the picture Dane!!!! Thanks everyone for the input.

I probably soaked that little hole with all kinds of water. Next time i will shove a walmart bag in there to keep it dry. Wish the thing did not get so muddy. Mud just sticks everywhere.

Thanks again everyone. I have some more questions, but I will post them in a new topic.

Thanks
    Great information everyone. This site is great for getting information Thanks Again!