Thread: Starting Circuit - Electrical

Thanks

Starting Circuit - Electrical

I am looking at a friends pro gator (not sure of the exact model)

He asked i change the plugs and check it over.

Bed was already up and propped.

I have changed all the plugs and refitted everything.
    I have tried to start - not turning over :(

I have peeked through the gearstick gaiter hole and noticed the handbrake microswitch is stuck in the "handbrake off" position. i have moved the lever but i will get a meter later and test this.

I assume this thing has to be in neutral & handbrake on to start normally.
    Can i get wiring diagrams for these? (3 Cylinder Petrol engine model)
    Is there a start procedure/check? i.e. Handbrake on, in neutral, foot on brake, bed down - that kind of thing?

I am sure this is a small problem, but i am new to this machine, any assistance appreciated.

regards
    Tony

Thanks
    Hi Gents!

I have managed to start the thing - once (turned out the neutral switch was sticking).

I now have other concerns with it.
    if it starts (very rare occurrence) i get a serious backfire through the carb (looks impressive though)

does anyone have any info on the ignition circuit, or setup of timing?
    from pickups, coils, plugs etc.

any help appreciated

cheers
    Tony

Thanks
    I do not know what engine you have or if it has hydraulic lifters but I would first check the valve gaps since it is relatively easier to access.

I am sure that service manuals containing wiring diagrams are available through John Deere or you could try searching online for something you can download. First will be determining what machine you have (model number).

Thanks
    Hi Dane,

I had a single dodgy connection to on of the coils (this is repaired and it appears to run better now).
    Also the sluggish performance was down to binding rear brake drums - small handbrake linkage had seized on both rear drums, holding the brake on (i noticed when driving onto a smooth concrete garage floor - one of the wheel slid - was rolling on dirt - but the smooth floor gave no grip)

My problem now (i think) is over rich running (no choke needed to start, black smoke and petrol (gas) smell).

I have no idea what does what on this carb, i have noticed a heating type coil (assume heats up and choke opens) also a vacuum release for the choke too.

but i don't know where the air/fuel/mixture screws are. (there are also two small electric devices on the choke - are they fuel cut off and choke???)
    It cuts out after 10-15 mins running.

the Pro Gator is a year 2001 , Model is 2020, Chassis number is *TC2020B020064*

regards
    Tony