Thread: 6x4 TH Gator diesel silencer?

Thanks

6x4 TH Gator diesel silencer?

Hey all,

I see silencer mufflers being offered for the other Gators. Will those work for a diesel engine? I need to silence my Gator as much as possible. I am getting ready to apply some dynamat or similar materials to help out some. Any advice to further reduce the clickety clack from the diesel itself? Thanks all!

Martin

Thanks
    I tried Dynamat on my 550 and I would not go to the effort again. Here is the thread about it. Basically it was a lot of work and I only got a 1db decrease in sound.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Hello Dane,

Thanks for the reply! Been researching and reading a lot on the subject. I think the issue is from my non expert opinion of the matter is that the surface... no matter what sound deadening is applied, if the product is still exposed to open air, is not going to suppress noise as well as a fully enclosed area. It is also reflecting noise as well. Sure the sound may deaden a bit because you are making the panels a bit heavier so it may suppress the noise a bit.

As an example, think of applying sound deadening mats to all 6 sides of a box, it will become quiet. If the box was just plain with no sound suppression on it will be much louder. Now, if you take that same box that you had all 6 sides treated and cut out one of the 6 sides, it will become more noticeable as the untreated box with the 6 sides. Looks like we are both facing this issue, but you may have proved to me with your project that it just isn't worth it.

I may have to live with it too because if I apply Dynamat or anything else, and tape up all holes, except the underneath of my Gator. I think the holes is for air intake and the like and it may be harmful for the engine, as well as increased heat levels as I would be insulating the engine compartment. Unfortunately, the exposed ground engine compartment (depending on sand, asphalt or concrete) will still reflect some noise.

Bottom line... I just want to kill the clackety clack diesel noise.

Thanks
    I think I got the biggest single reduction in sound by sealing the gap at the front of the dump bed which closed off on big direct path for the noise to get to the passenger compartment. Other than that everything else was very minor incremental steps. The engine of the 550 is sealed better than some other Gator models but it's still got some pretty large open areas for sound to escape. And, the bed and all panels are plastic which also helps with the sound. With a metal bed and sheet metal panels you might get some benefit from deadening and tin canning that might be going on.

If you have a roof I think applying an eggshell type sound deadening foam might yield noticeable results by cutting down on the reflected noise.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    If the diesel noise is more then you can stand then maybe your going to have to sell it and buy a gas model

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Destiny creek View Post
    If the diesel noise is more then you can stand then maybe your going to have to sell it and buy a gas model
    No can do. Too much invested. Besides, there is too much mods done to it already. It isn't me bothered by the noise, it is recording film/video with sound. The trick is to suppress the sound enough to not be noticed by the sound department.

Dane: I have an open air Gator. Plus I am making another mod (in progress) to appeal to the Steadicam guys. We shall see.