Thread: Steering is very difficult - feels like it's getting stuck

Thanks

Steering is very difficult - feels like it's getting stuck

I've got a 620i with close to 800 hours and drove it this morning to find it takes a lot of effort to steer. It feels like trying to get a nut off of a rusty bolt with crap on half of the bolt's threads, where you have to use a lot of effort to turn it at that point until you get past it and it gets easier until you get to the crappy part again. I could feel it when I drove it, and it still does it when I jack up the front end. It gets "stuck" twice as it is getting to both the extreme right and extreme left. I did also notice that on the front driver's side, it has a torn outer CV boot, evident by the nice layer of grease on the outside of it. I can't imagine that's related at all since getting dirt or something inside the boot should affect the wheel spinning versus turning, but maybe that is the culprit. Physically, everything else looks all right with the steering unless it's very small and I didn't notice it. Any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks
    I can't offer you anything but I will bump up your post again, hopefully someone has some advice.
    Good Luck!
    Jake

Thanks
    I would look for any suspension components that might be bent or damaged. Since it's doing it repeatably in the same spot and with the front wheels off the ground it sounds like it could be the steering rack.

Also, replace that CV boot as soon as possible. If done promptly it's just the boot where if you let it go you're talking a new half shaft since I don't think Deere sells just the CV joint. It's surprisingly not a bad job to do. I've not done a Gator but have done several on ATV's. There are even videos online that show you a trick to hooking and unhooking the metal band without special tools.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    This might be something I'll just have the dealer look at since the steering issue seems like it involves a lot of disassembly work that might be over my head.

As for the boot, I have successfully replaced one on another 07-10 XUV with a buddy, but tried on a 2011+ XUV a few months ago and couldn't get the lower control arm to drop, so my motivation for doing another isn't as high as it could be right now

Thanks
    Something is either bent or binding during the motion of the steering wheel. Jack it up, get under it, inspect every suspension component for bends that shouldn't be there, and then look for any of the suspension components to bind up when you turn the wheel.