Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hummmmmmmmmm

Thanks

Hummmmmmmmmm

Our 2006 625i Gator has been trouble-free which explains why our small ranch is all-green. Today, I went out to start it, I turned the key on and got a buzz or electrical humm that sounded like a fuel pump kicking on pre-start. It lasted for a couple of seconds and then stopped. BUT it came back on and stayed on when I started the engine. I looked through the service manual and can't find anything on it. NO wires are loose and the service manual I down loaded fro the Internet isn't very thorough. Any idea what it is? It'll go in to JD if I can't figure it out but we just got the tractor out and life's a little expensive right now for 2 JD visits in the same month!

Thanks
    I would suspect a master or starting solenoid. It's hard to imagine anything else that can make a click or buzz loud enough to be heard.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    The fuel pump is on a delay when turning the key on and pressure is met. The noise you are hearing on the pump will get noisier when the fuel filter starts to get plugged up because of starvation of fuel. Change the filters and that might cure your problem

Thanks
    Thanks, Dane. I went through that last night in the barn but no go. It was all good. Then, Gaterdone, I went inside and was looking for others on the web with the same problem and found a mountain of them, all pointing to what you said. So that's exactly what I'm going to try today. Logic told me then and you confirm today that starvation might be the problem so I'll let you all know how it comes out.

Thanks
    Officially the most difficult to work on vehicle I've ever had. Nothing like burying everything under and behind seats, plastic panels, metal bars and screwing things so close to the corners and edges the bolts and nuts are impossible to reach. Had a Big Block shoehorned into a little '64 Malibu that wasn't this tight.

Thanks
    Much of my 550 is covered in plastic panels. It's nice that JD used all #25 Torx screws so much can be done with just one tool until you get to one key panel where they threw in two #40 Torx just to make you curse, throw a wrench across the room and go digging through the tool box. The panel is not load bearing and there are other #25 screws close by so why they felt the need for those big screws in a plastic panel is beyond me.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Well, that didn't work. Talking to my local JDD mechanic who services both our 3520 and Gator, and looking at the exploded views, there's no in-tank filter; just the one bolted to the frame rail. Ordered one of those $19 replacements (AM117584) from JD but then found a cross reference one from Fram for $12 at Auto Zone. They'll cross reference the part no. on chat on the Auto Zone website but I'll post the part number tomorrow. The box is out in the barn. So the filter fit but not until after taking the little, white, plastic collars off. Lift the tabs up on the collars' sides and they slip right off. (No, not the red, plastic tip covers that keep it clean untill installed. Take them off too!) So next is the pressure regulator or fuel pump; depends on which is cheaper!
    Last edited by jlames; 05-07-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks
    You said this is a 2006 625i. In 2006 it will be a 620i, or 2011 on 625i, It makes a difference on the system.

Thanks
    Sorry. I misspoke. It is a 620i.

Thanks
    I see in one of your other posts you mention that your fuel pump is not shutting off? So, are you hearing it clicking away even when the engine is off and the key is in the off position?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast