Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HPX falls on its face when taking off

Thanks
    jergeod,

I'm not 100% positive, but I believe the solenoid shuts off fuel to the carb when the engine is off (key off)... Appears to be a safety device to prevent fuel from draining into a hot engine and catching fire after the engine is turned off.
    2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, Front and Rear 4" square 27 watt LED lights, Bad Lands 2500lb Winch installed in bed, Front and Rear CV Guards

Thanks
    I have no idea haven't searched to find out yet. But I thank you.
    2005 HPX, My add ons ( w/OPS, XUV wheels,1 1/2 inch spacers front & rear, at489 tires, 3000 lb winch, body armor spray in bedliner,self made one peice windshield & roof, homemade snowplow.

Thanks
    Jergeod,

FYI... I searched the Solenoid through JDPARTS.com and is used on several different pieces of equipment including lawnmowers.

If it performs the function as stated in the earlier post of a fuel shutoff valve it correlates with the symptoms you're experiencing as they sound like a lean condition (when throttle is demanded additional fuel is needed or it will bog or even backfire). If the solenoid is removed it basically functions like a carb or years past would without the feature and thus should not cause any operational problems.

You'll have to decide if the safety aspect of the Solenoid in preventing fuel from flooding the engine or possibly migrating to a hot exhaust during key off conditions is worth fixing.

Was voltage available to the solenoid with the key on? This could have been the problem

To test the solenoid a 9v battery (or 12v source) can be used to energize the solenoid. Be aware the plunger typically needs to be slightly depressed to actuate. Note: in its unpowered state the plunger is fully extended and when it is in the carb it is slightly depressed. Slightly depressing the plunger with power to the solenoid should cause it to retract fully.
    Last edited by 200mph; 11-20-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, Front and Rear 4" square 27 watt LED lights, Bad Lands 2500lb Winch installed in bed, Front and Rear CV Guards

Thanks
    Last night I searched at JDparts and all they say is solenoid with no mention of what it is for. To answer your thoughts on this I have no flooding symptoms / problems when key is shut off left to sit 5 min and restarted, as far as roll over I don't use it in any fashion that that would ever happen. Going to stop at JD dealer and see if they know for sure what it does. All I know is it starts better idles better and runs fantastic, this thing has never run this good from day one
    2005 HPX, My add ons ( w/OPS, XUV wheels,1 1/2 inch spacers front & rear, at489 tires, 3000 lb winch, body armor spray in bedliner,self made one peice windshield & roof, homemade snowplow.

Thanks
    An extra step is needed in jdparts.com

Select the where used button and it will show other applications. Searching these other applications it is possible to find more info about it.

Thanks
    One of the things I did find about it is it cost $179.00, ARE THEY JOKING!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12