Thread: Oil Reservoir Overfilled

Thanks

Oil Reservoir Overfilled

Brand new Gator 850i delivered from dealer with Oil reservoir overfilled by at least a quart if not more.

Went for the first long ride this weekend and got in a situation where the rear end was elevated and the machine puttered and stalled. It would not restart in that position so I got it level and was able to start it again with a lot of smoke coming out of the rear end. Had to rev the engine to burn it off and it smelt like oil. This was about halfway into the ride. When I got it back home and checked the oil it is way overfilled. With a flashlight I can still see the dipstick and the oil half way up the stick before the cap blocks your view. This same cap clearly says "overfill of oil may damage engine". Obviously I will call the dealer first thing in the morning but I wanted to get some advice from the forum. I had already notified them because i had a similar situation just riding it on my street and into a vacant lot but not nearly as bad as the incident this weekend. I just figured it was break in burn off. I had less than 2 miles on the machine before this weekend and now it is around 25. I was careful not to get in that situation again but it is inevitable. The rest of the ride there was a little burn off here and there but not the stall issue. So what should my concerns be? What should I expect from the dealer? Should I get JD involved? I spent a lot of money on this machine!!

Thanks

JM

Thanks
    JM

When I got my JD X728SE delivered I discovered it was about 2 qts low on hydraulic fliud, several nuts and bolts were loose and fell off within 5 hrs of use. Come to find out my dealer paid high school kids per unit to uncrate and assembly them.

Its a good idea to check all the fluids when you get any new vehicle. I know someone with a Ranger who decided after using it for about a month and 100 miles who he would check fluids, he found the front hub and rear axle were both under-filled. He was ticked off but the dealer just schrugged it off as nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by Z15; 05-28-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks
    If it were a carbureted engine I would be smelling the oil for gas. Good thing you caught the high oil level. I'd be checking the other fluid levels just to be safe.

I don't know what harm a dry sump engine can suffer from too much oil. Does anyone know how the oil system on the 850 works? I assume there is a scavenge pump under the engine to pump the oil up to the reservoir and then another pump that takes oil from there and sends it to the engine. I would not think a high oil level would do much more than spill and make a mess but something else must be going on if it wouldn't start.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by el-jefe View Post
    Brand new Gator 850i delivered from dealer with Oil reservoir overfilled by at least a quart if not more.

Went for the first long ride this weekend and got in a situation where the rear end was elevated and the machine puttered and stalled. It would not restart in that position so I got it level and was able to start it again with a lot of smoke coming out of the rear end. Had to rev the engine to burn it off and it smelt like oil. This was about halfway into the ride. When I got it back home and checked the oil it is way overfilled. With a
    flashlight I can still see the dipstick and the oil half way up the stick before the cap blocks your view. This same cap clearly says "overfill of oil may damage engine". Obviously I will call the dealer first thing in the morning but I wanted to get some advice from the forum. I had already notified them because i had a similar situation just riding it on my street and into a vacant lot but not nearly as bad as the incident this weekend. I just figured it was break in burn off. I had less than 2 miles on the machine before this weekend and now it is around 25. I was careful not to get in that situation again but it is inevitable. The rest of the ride there was a little burn off here and there but not the stall issue. So what should my concerns be? What should I expect from the dealer? Should I get JD involved? I spent a lot of money on this machine!!

Thanks

JM
    It is not good situation at all.. Just contact with the dealer and check what he says.. It will hard to rectify it.. You need to spend some more money
    Last edited by TomasOwen; 06-23-2013 at 03:01 AM.