Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rear Diff Lock???

Thanks
    I think we are talking 2 different things here - a "locking differential" is different than a axle with a manual locked differential.

Locking differentials generally operate on their own, when needed. When not needed they automatically unlock and allow the differential to operate as an open differential.

A manually locked differential as we have on the Gator or is available on the Jeep Rubicon, actually locks the differential, distributing the power to the two wheels, turning the axles and therefore the wheels at the exact same rate. If one of the wheels does not turn, eventually something will break because of the twisting of the axle.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIEDOG View Post
    They are locked.
    I went to the Polaris site, they say the have on demand 4wd - that is not a locked differential at all. It would be very difficult to operate a vehicle that had the differential locked all the time.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
    I went to the Polaris site, they say the have on demand 4wd - that is not a locked differential at all. It would be very difficult to operate a vehicle that had the differential locked all the time.
    The polaris ranger rear wheels can be lock solid just like the gator, they use an electric switch, the on demand is the front end.
    Last edited by missouri gator; 07-09-2013 at 09:20 PM. Reason: unsure of comment

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by missouri gator View Post
    The polaris ranger rear wheels can be lock solid just like the gator, they use an electric switch, the on demand is the front end.

I was responding to a comment "Some of their competitors are locked rear all the time like the Razor and Rhino..." I was trying to explain that I doubted they are locked all the time.

I'll take you at your word that the Ranger can be locked by a switch. I have not seen that and their manufacture web page only discusses 2wd and on demand AWD.

I still think there is a bit of confusion going on here about open differentials, on demand 4wd and a truly "locked" differential

Thanks
    It seems as though the consensus is the truly LOCKED diff can be used on loose surfaces as long as one wheel doesn't get wedged or stuck on something preventing it to spin without harm to the diff...

Is this a correct statement?
    825i Camo, 3500lb Warn, Big Horns, Poly cab

Thanks
    It seems as though the consensus is the truly LOCKED diff can be used on loose surfaces as long as one wheel doesn't get wedged or stuck on something preventing it to spin without harm to the diff...

Thanks
    If I am on loose terrain and need extra traction I use four wheel drive. I only engage the differential lock if I am heading into a nasty, slippery spot. Once I'm through the bad area I disengage the differential lock. I do not drive around with the differential locked even if on a loose surface.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    I learned from some other posts that if you are trying to back up while turning hard it is NOT recommended to use 4WD because it will shatter your CV's. i've also found that while turning at full lock with 4WD engaged the Gator tends to 'wedge' pretty often and at times it can take some effort to get the 4WD to free up. That is why I started using the diff-lock in some loose traction situations instead of the 4WD.

I have done this frequently while plowing snow to avoid wedging when trying to back out of a ditch or off a snow pile while turning. Hopefully I haven't done any damage.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duling View Post

duling, I would say yes, I would not be afraid and I have ran mine on gravel roads, dirt trails and grass with the diff locked. I will say doing so in your yard will not make the wife very happy or at my house it didnt!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by missouri gator View Post
    This is correct. They have 3 modes, 2 wheel, 4 wheel and 4 wheel w/ diff lock. Both modes of 4 wheel is a mechanical slip for the front wheel drive to engage which, IMHO, sucks. I had a Polaris Ranger and got hung up all the time while plowing snow. When plowing uphill, I need the 4 wheel drive to be engaged PRIOR to starting to slip.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast