Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rear Diff Lock???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
    I was responding to a comment "Some of their competitors are locked rear all the time like the Razor and Rhino..." I was trying to explain that I doubted they are locked all the time.

I'll take you at your word that the Ranger can be locked by a switch. I have not seen that and their manufacture web page only discusses 2wd and on demand AWD.

I still think there is a bit of confusion going on here about open differentials, on demand 4wd and a truly "locked" differential

I am fully aware of what a locked differential is....take a peek at this article for some more details...looks like they are saying the Rhino and Prowler are always locked....I'm still pretty sure the only Polaris models that unlock are the ones that have a "turf mode" but I wouldn't stake my first born on it.
    https://www.duneguide.com/PerfectUTV.htm

Thanks
    I especially like how the article mentions that broken CV joints and axles are a common occurrence on a trail like that.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    If I wasn't such a cheapskate I'd like to take my new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon out there to give it a try out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIEDOG View Post
    If I wasn't such a cheapskate I'd like to take my new Jeep Wrangler Rubicon out there to give it a try out.
    You should ...it is an awesome trail ....and you should do it sooner rather than later. There is a guy out that guides groups thru the trail without doing any damage. A once in a life time trip.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DIXIEDOG View Post
    I am fully aware of what a locked differential is....take a peek at this article for some more details...looks like they are saying the Rhino and Prowler are always locked....I'm still pretty sure the only Polaris models that unlock are the ones that have a "turf mode" but I wouldn't stake my first born on it.
    https://www.duneguide.com/PerfectUTV.htm
    If I offended you - that was never my intention - please accept my apologies - I never intended to suggest that you did not know what a locked differential is. I went and read that article then went to the rhino web site and there seems to be a difference in facts, the web page says that the Rhino operates in 2wd - 4wd - or locked 4wd.

the web site is https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/out...0/0/specs.aspx

I don't know what year Rubicon you have - but if you have an older one 2003 0r 2004 they came with what people describe as a locking rear differential and a air operated selectable lockable differentials ( front and rear ).

Regardless, I am sure you are not going to suggest that anyone lock their rear differential and drive around with a locked rear axle. The entire point of this thread was about manually locking the rear differential of our Gators and driving around with it locked, and the appropriate answer is no one should not. First it makes the Gator more difficult to operate because just as the article you suggested I read says, a locked rear differential will want to push the vehicle straight, no matter where the front wheels try and steer it.

Additionally, when the rear axle is manually or electronically locked so both wheels must turn at the exact rate - it's a prescription for damage. Something has to give, the lawn, the trail or the axle. On the Gator 4wd should be used before the locked axle, and then only use the axle lock when needed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
    You should ...it is an awesome trail ....and you should do it sooner rather than later. There is a guy out that guides groups thru the trail without doing any damage. A once in a life time trip.
    I've got this year's vacations all planned out for some hare hunting with my beagles but I'm thinking about looking into a trip like that in a couple years.....I think it would be a very memorable trip.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123