Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 825i Oil Change Question John Deere Plus 4 or Turf Guard Oil

Thanks
    And it is the additive package of a motor oil that makes is good, better, or best. Folks concentrate too much on the base oil... conventional or synthetic. A quality motor oil will have a very stout additive package. The add pack makes up to 20% of any motor oil. Base oil is clear, the color you see when you pour motor oil from the bottle is the additive package. I prefer a quality oil with a high detergent content as well as a great friction modification package, which usually is comprised of zinc, with higher levels of moly or titanium. And having a healthy load of Calcium, as that is critical to detergency and fighting acids from combustion. Think of it as Tums for you motor. And the lower the NOACK (burn off) rating of the oil, the better. The higher the viscosity index usually corresponds, though not always, to a lower NOACK. That is the viscosity index, not the viscosity of the oil.

You can find a lot of this type of information at the Petroleum Quality Institute of America website. They randomly check a wide variety of name brand oils and viscosities and lay out what they are comprised of. I long since gave up on the brand loyalty and marketing game. I look at what the oil blend is comprised of and use what is the best quality and value for my dollar. In the interest of full disclosure, I use 5 different brands of oil, gear lubes, and greases, and none of them are the off the shelf kind of oils at Wally World.
    Last edited by Copperhead; 11-27-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks
    Hello, I've temporarily misplaced my manual for the 2014 825i (I put it away & can't locate it.) Could someone let me know what weight oil to use & how much to buy? If you could scan or take a picture of the appropriate page & include that, I'd appreciate that too.
    Bill T
    2014 Green & Yellow 825i w/ Power steering , Sport seats, poly cab & doors, front / rear CV guards & Terra 45 Superwinch along w/ Rigid Industries D2 driving lights on brush guard & SRQ2 diffused lights
    on back of cab. Set of Camso 2011 UTV S4 tracks for winter use!

Thanks
    This>>>>> Lookup guide <<<<< has capacities..

Thanks
    Thanks, when you only change the oil once a year, it's difficult to remember which oil to use. Now finding the filter #, that's easy.
    Bill T
    2014 Green & Yellow 825i w/ Power steering , Sport seats, poly cab & doors, front / rear CV guards & Terra 45 Superwinch along w/ Rigid Industries D2 driving lights on brush guard & SRQ2 diffused lights

Thanks
    Wix 51394

That info is on the lookup as well, click the Filters tab...

Thanks
    Unless you have extremely hot or cold, 5w-30 or 10-30 will serve you well.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Just went and bought the oil after work today (full synthetic 10w 30) & I already had the filter. Will be doing the oil change this Saturday, thanks for the information folks.

Going to our club in the woods in a couple weeks were the cell phone doesn't work & the loudest sounds are Loons calling across the pond. Best to have the Gator ready, it gets rather dusty up there on the old logging trails. Now where did I put that owner's Manual...
    Bill T

Thanks
    I wish the JD manual was available in PDF. It is web based and not easy to save as one file.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    And if I may ask, have you found the manual Bunky? Can you give us the web address?
    Bill T

Thanks
    https://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMM171352_19/?tM=HO

This is the manual for the current model year but 99% is still applicable.
    Last edited by Bunky; 07-11-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    Al

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunky For This Useful Post:

bradhill (02-09-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12