Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 06 Diesel no power

Thanks

06 Diesel no power

I'm picking up my 06 Diesel 4x4 this saturday. The complaint is no power. Engine runs, but won't develop power. Sounds like a governor issue to me.

The previous owner has all the maintenance it's entire life. It currently has a new starter, new clutch, and recent front plastic (corner was broke).

How can i adjust/remove the governor for testing?

It also has a 'squeak' from the front differential area, but i'll start a different thread on that one.

Thanks
    What makes you think it's a governor issue? First insure that it has a fresh fuel filter and that the fuel is clean with no water.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    It was just where my mind went. I was wrong. There is a spark arrestor (?) plug in the end of the exhaust. It was plugged 100% solid. I pulled the screw out, and pulled the plug out. Runs like a TOP. So glad i have a gator..

Thanks
    A governor has NOTHING to do with power. If a naturally-aspirated diesel isn't making horsepower it has a fuel injector problem, or, in your case more likely an injection pump issue. A bad injector will make it miss, not run smoothly and not make any power.

If you had a real diesel with a turbo on it you would probably start with it, but yours doesn't have one.

A governor controls the maximum rpms.

NOTICE: NEVER CRANK A DIESEL UNLESS THE INJECTYION PUMP IS GETTING FUEL TO IT, OR YOU WILL TRASH IT!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rodbuilder View Post
    A governor has NOTHING to do with power. If a naturally-aspirated diesel isn't making horsepower it has a fuel injector problem, or, in your case more likely an injection pump issue. A bad injector will make it miss, not run smoothly and not make any power.

If you had a real diesel with a turbo on it you would probably start with it, but yours doesn't have one.

A governor controls the maximum rpms.

NOTICE: NEVER CRANK A DIESEL UNLESS THE INJECTYION PUMP IS GETTING FUEL TO IT, OR YOU WILL TRASH IT!!!
    Agreed that the governor doesn't have anything to do with power and an injector or pump would be A line of attack if you're sure of a fuel problem, but if you read - it was a simple spark arrestor.

Doesn't have a real diesel with a turbo?? I'd say any Yanmar burning diesel fuel with would be considered a diesel... Pretty nasty to be saying to someone with a problem, don't you think? We are here for help, that's what makes these forums so great.

These mechanical pumps are pretty resilient to running out of fuel. It's not the best thing in the world to do, but will not trash the pump. Many of these little Yanmar engines run out of fuel, starving the injection pump, all the time and crank right back up. The ones you have to worry about are VP44 cummins electronic pumps...they don't like it as much and tend to eat themselves. Lets not let people think that running out of fuel in their diesel Gator is the end of the world. Prime it back up and roll on!

Now I apologize for this thread being a year old, but I had to say something. I don't want people taking this info and thinking they've killed their equipment.
    XUV 850d, Olive, Ops Roof, doors, sliding rear window, gun rack, Receiver mount winch front and rear, power dump, brush bar with headlight protection, bed liner, roof mount lights, standard steel wheels with 489's, etc... Modified 6x4 72" snow plow.

Thanks
    Im having a similar problem with my hpx diesel. It cranks and runs fine at idle for any length of time, but when I ride it for say 20 minutes or more it dies. I have to manually prime the pump to get it to start again. It then dies again shortly after trying to ride it. Does anyone have a clue to what I can do to repair this? I have replaced the fuel filter and air filters thinking that might be the problem, but it still acts the same. Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by slickice View Post
    Im having a similar problem with my hpx diesel. It cranks and runs fine at idle for any length of time, but when I ride it for say 20 minutes or more it dies. I have to manually prime the pump to get it to start again. It then dies again shortly after trying to ride it. Does anyone have a clue to what I can do to repair this? I have replaced the fuel filter and air filters thinking that might be the problem, but it still acts the same. Thanks for any help.
    You don't state where you are...But, if you are in COLD country with Minus Fahrenheit temps...your diesel fuel might be gelling

Thanks
    X2!! It's cold in some areas. If your fuel is frozen up, or wax crystals are just starting to form in it and a new filter won't do you any good. Go get some red bottle Power Service 911 and toss it in the tank. That should thaw you out enough to get running again. Also, a good quality fuel source is a must for these, especially in the winter. Good luck and let us know what happens!
    XUV 850d, Olive, Ops Roof, doors, sliding rear window, gun rack, Receiver mount winch front and rear, power dump, brush bar with headlight protection, bed liner, roof mount lights, standard steel wheels with 489's, etc... Modified 6x4 72" snow plow.

Thanks
    Sorry guys. I live in a warm climate in the South. Thanks for any help.

Thanks
    Ok so if you're luckier than me and have a balmy over 0* temp outside, we need to start looking for air leaks in the fuel system. I suspect you're pulling air into the system somewhere and losing prime. I would start by looking at the fuel lines, make sure there's no cracking anywhere. Also, check around your fuel filter for leaks or wet spots. Another good way to check for places for air to get in is to put a little bit of air pressure in the fuel tank and watch your connections and fuel lines for leaks...wherever fuel is coming out, air is going in while it's running. DO NOT put a bunch of air in the tank - just a blow gun with a rag wrapped around it normally does just fine. Watch your face when you pull the air tube out. The fuel has a nasty habit of finding eyes, clothes, and faces on it's way out! Ask me how I know. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast