Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I expecting too much from my 825?

Thanks

Am I expecting too much from my 825?

Hi All,
    A bit of rant and query here. I have a 2011 825 and I absolutely love the thing. But, there is always a but, I take my machine to do some pretty good trail riding 3 or 4 times a year and it seems like every time I have shifting problems. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times for this and each time they say that the reason for the shifting problem is that there is mud and junk in the clutch that is causing it to Bind.

Now I do not swamp the thing and funny thing is one of the guys I ride with has the same year gator as I do and goes everywhere that I do and has never had a problem. This last trip I did go through some mud about axle deep but had no problems. I went down a pretty good rocky slope and had trouble shifting at the bottom when turning around at the top of the hill, shut off for a bit and could not get it out of gear to start. Finally got it into neutral and after a while had to be towed back about 5 miles by the other gator (at least thanks god it was not a 4 wheeler)

So back to the dealer and I am sure that they will find something this time but the same thing again , along with the warning to make sure that I do not shift until RPM under 1000, OK yea I usually do. They even sent me pictures and tell me that it's been swamped! Now I dont know about you but I do not see that much mud and debris in these.

825 -2.jpg825 - 3.jpg825 -1.jpg

So, I am starting to think that my gator is destined to another home and I will be looking for another machine. Maybe the Yamaha Viking, but I am just starting to look around. I really don't want to get rid of the thing since I use it a lot for the small acreage that I have, but If it cant handle a little mud it's got to go. Just what I need on a hunting trip to be stranded miles in the woods.
    Last edited by skidrowe; 10-12-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Thanks
    The problem with the gator and most is the item you see in the first pic, a belt. The belt and the clutch either work perfectly or never work at all. I come to the conclusion the most of the staff at powersports dealers are arrogant and can't solve problems so they blame the owner for abusing the machine, for which is was supposedly designed to handle.

Honda has the only SxS with a automotive type auto trans and its darn near fool-proof. All the other ATV's have belts and that is the weak link in IMO.

After seeing the problems a friend has with his 2012 550 and several of my local customers I would not buy a gator.
    Last edited by Z15; 10-12-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks
    I feel for you skidrowe. Mine has been back 3 times for clutch problems. I just got it back Friday and they replaced the clutch again. The dealer said, "this is only the second time we replaced the clutch". WHAT? 100 hours and two clutches and I don't mud bogg the thing. I am looking at the 850i now. Not sure I won't change brands either. I am sick and tired of this thing not shifting in and out of gear and moving as soon as put in gear. I think these should be sold in the desert only.
    Never squat with your spurs on.
    https://www.theconeranch.com

Thanks
    I asked the shop about the clutch and they said that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the clutch. Offered to replace it if I wanted them to for 1200 to 1500 buT they would said there is nothing wrong with it. This makes no sense at all to me.
    Last edited by skidrowe; 10-12-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Thanks
    You aren't expecting too much in my opinion. I drive mine like I stole it and it shifts smooth as pie.....no problems with the shifting whatsoever....now the front driveshaft was another story I use mine in a fair bit of mud and snow but that's what it was made for....if they didn't want it to go in mud they would have put turf tires on it instead of Bighorns.

Thanks
    I guess at some point there was mud inside the housing given the condition on the inside of the CVT cover or is that considered normal.

I do have one question. I assume the venting is to allow cooling or something which is why it is not completely sealed?

Sometimes like this you are at the mercy of the skills of the dealer in spotting certain types of issues. There may be some installation or adjustment trick they do not know.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    I don't believe that would be considered uncommon to have dirt in your CVT cover. I would verify that the little foam "filter" on your intake hose is still in place though. In a non sealed housing you're bound to get dirt inside the housing, it has a wide open area on the rear and a rubber hose with a piece of foam for a filter in the intake hose.....not much to keep anything out.

Thanks
    The foam insert is there. When I took it in for the first shifting issue they noted that the filter was missing and replaced it and glued/screwed it in. Has anyone tried to seal the housing in some way? From what I understand a snorkel will not help since the housing is not sealed...

Thanks
    From my understanding the belt housing is sealed from water up to the point of the inlet and outlet. Mine was leaking also brought it in and the dealer said the seal was leaking so they replaced it never had a prob sence. I go through water up to the floor and mud it's been good. Haven't had the shifting issue yet knock on wood 145 hours so far so good.

Thanks
    Bunky, I see from your post yesterday that you'd like seat covers. Check out Gilmore's Camo on E-bay: Looking at these myself: https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-6...item46133230cc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast