Thread: Superwinch is here!

Thanks

Superwinch is here!

The Superwinch arrived today. I settled on the Superwinch Terra 45. It was not that much more than the terra 35 (similar hp motor, different gearing).

I chose this over Warn due to better all around specs (motor, speed, etc) without obvious reason why the Warn XT40 or ProVantage was worth the money. I would have gladly paid it if they had some better explanation. SW does a better sell job.

Some assembly required

Wiring - It is obvious the red/black battery leads are way too short if mounted the solenoid between the radiator and "firewall" like most have done. I see one went to Walmart and got some 6 AWG leads. The other idea is to check next to the battery but the compartment is fairly tight already due to all the "loose" wiring stuffed in there from the roof lights and windshield washer.

The circuit breaker...this seems the most odd aspect about the design -- all that sealing bragging and then I have to seal them. I read some upgraded. The breakers are marked 50A.

I plan to use a dash mounted toggle rather than the handle bar mounted unit attached to the dash plus I need to purchase some Delphi connectors to properly connect to hardness.

I have an amazon order ready for the snatch block, tree saver, and a couple D rings. I have a recovery strap.

For the winch mount, I went with the Cambridge Metal version. I purchased last week and it just shipped. I ordered the winch on Friday and shipped on Monday (seller promised same day - but this is ok.)
    Last edited by Bunky; 10-16-2013 at 07:42 PM.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Good deal. I put a Superwinch on my Gator. Sure makes it easy to strap the Gator on the trailer now.
    Never squat with your spurs on.
    https://www.theconeranch.com

Thanks
    Since you got the synthetic rope and billet aluminum fairlead you may want to order a winch cable stopper before you wind the rope onto the winch. You can add it later but your have to rewind the rope. If you don't get one just make sure you don't retract the rope in until the hook scratches the fairlead. You want to keep is as smooth as possible to prevent cutting the rope fibers.

Most auto parts stores have a resettable breaker you can substitute for the double 50 amp contraption provided by Superwinch. It has a more appropriate amperage and can be mounted without enclosing it in a plastic soap box.

Even though you are putting a switch in the dash don't forget to install the socket for the pendant. I find it a big help to be out of the Gator sometimes when using the winch like when using the winch to help secure the Gator on a trailer.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Most auto parts stores have a resettable breaker you can substitute for the double 50 amp contraption provided by Superwinch. It has a more appropriate amperage and can be mounted without enclosing it in a plastic soap box.
    I have seen people commenting but why change to a higher rated breaker. My initial reaction would be like changing a wall breaker from 15A to 30A when the circuit is not rated for it but the winch is rated to draw more and have asked this question to Superwinch.

Is the circuit breaker self-resetting?
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    I took the SuperWinch breaker and slipped it into a 6 inch piece of clear hose. Left the ends open for cooling. Used a tie wrap to keep the breaker from slipping out by accident.
    2013 XUV 825i Olive/Black--Black Alloy Wheels and Bighorns, Front and Rear CV Guards, Power Tilt, Front and Rear Protection Packages, Front Hood Rack, OPS Poly Roof, Switch Box, Front and Rear Mid-Range Lights, Long Range Lights, Bench Seat, Superwinch Terra 45, CMP Winch Mount, Comfort Straps and Camo Cover

Thanks
    I don't think the breaker is really needed but if you look at the specs for the winch it pulls about 160 amps at full load and I think the 3500 model pulls closer to 180 amps. Superwinch provides a Frankensteined two 50 amps breakers together to sorta give you 100 amps. Worst is that there is no proper way for mounting it so you're left wrapping it in electrical tape, putting it inside a plastic soap box or Tupperware container. The breaker can be can be manually tripped and reset and is easily mounted.

The picture is of a 100 amp model which is close to $60 at my local store. The 150 amp version was less than half the price.

XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Last edited by Destiny creek; 10-19-2013 at 02:01 AM.
    855 Diesel c/w block heater* High Performance Sport Seats - Black with camo seat covers* Deluxe Cab Frame/Including Windshield, Wiper, Electrical Kit and Rear Window * Power and Front Protection Package * Rear Protection Package * Deluxe Cargo Box w/Polyurea Liner/Brake & Tail Lights & Protector *Back up lights * Front Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Rear Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Interior Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Side Mirrors - Deluxe Cab*Long Range Light Kit * Deluxe Signal Light Kit * Kolpin chainsaw mount*Kolpin double gun cases *4500 lbs superwinch*Hella spotlights*UTV cab heater*

Thanks
    Check out this thread from awhile back
    https://www.johndeeregatorforum.com/f...mount-location
    Go Broncos
    Last edited by Destiny creek; 10-19-2013 at 01:57 AM.
    855 Diesel c/w block heater* High Performance Sport Seats - Black with camo seat covers* Deluxe Cab Frame/Including Windshield, Wiper, Electrical Kit and Rear Window * Power and Front Protection Package * Rear Protection Package * Deluxe Cargo Box w/Polyurea Liner/Brake & Tail Lights & Protector *Back up lights * Front Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Rear Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Interior Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Side Mirrors - Deluxe Cab*Long Range Light Kit * Deluxe Signal Light Kit * Kolpin chainsaw mount*Kolpin double gun cases *4500 lbs superwinch*Hella spotlights*UTV cab heater*

Thanks
    I had not seen that post. I had read about the soap box but did not see the pic with the sealing. I will probably add it in the overcrowded battery area.

I also found a 100A water sealed resetable similar to the one Dane posted for $32.

From the JD winch install, the use the yellow/black connector to supply switched power to the circuit.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bunky; 10-19-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    Al

Thanks
    The winch mount came in this weekend. The cambridge mount is nice and the instructions look nice. I also ordered some Delphi connectors/terminals (males, females of housing and terminial) to create the daisy like JD.

I now just need to get a translucent soap box for the circuit breaker (decided that over the nice one from Autozone that Dane posted) and also the cable stopper.
    Al