Thread: Starter drive not always engaging engine flywheel

Thanks

Unhappy Starter drive not always engaging engine flywheel

I have an AMT 626 witht eh Kawasaki 9.5 HP engine. I had a rebuilt starter put on it and when I go to start the machine, it sounds like the starter's motor itself is spinning, yet the engine is not cranking. In a vise, I got the starter solenoid to throw the pinion/clutch every time I jumped the motor terminals, so my question is; WHAT am I not seeing when the starter is installed on the engine and I try to start it?

BTW- I tried an experiment where I rotated the Salsbury clutch/pulley while simultaneously activating the starter and this helps in getting the engine to crank and run. Hmmmm. I'm baffled. Need advice.

Brett

Thanks
    Does it sound like the starter gear is grinding on the flywheel when you try to start? Since it's a rebuilt starter I wonder if it has the wrong teeth to easily engage the flywheel.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    I had the solenoid go bad on a 620i a year ago, and the solenoid from JD was about $70 but a new starter and solenoid combo (admittedly a cheap Chinese set vs. a quality Japanese Denso) from Autozone was also $70, so I went to Autozone. Every so often, with no recognizable pattern, it will let out a nasty grind when you try to start it. The next time I start it a second later, it does what it's supposed to and there are no problems. I'm curious what your issue could be as well since my issue sounds similar.