Thread: Best oil for 550 xuv

Thanks

Post Best oil for 550 xuv

Weighing the options between using regular oil as opposed to a synthetic in these vanguard engines when replacing the break-in oil? Would it make that big of a difference in protecting the engine better? I know it sounds like a no brainer.
    Last edited by jimmydale; 11-07-2013 at 01:46 PM.

Thanks
    OK I get it! a dumb question.

Thanks
    I'm not a trained mechanic, but I can't see why you would have to spend the extra money for synthetic unless you truly wanted to and would sleep better because of it. I like Valvoline and have used it in several new Gators before with no issues.

Thanks
    I will use what JD recommends in my 825i at least while it is under warranty.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Synthetics are engineered, not refined from crude oil, they excel in wear protection, extreme high- and low-temperature performance, foam control, viscosity retention, rust and corrosion protection, volatility and fuel economy.

Synthetic oil is chemically engineered for a certain molecular composition with a tailored and uniform structure. Such fine-tuned control over the final molecular composition of synthetic oils is the key to their superior performance properties. Designing molecular structures in a planned and orderly fashion results in molecules, and end-products, that are far more stable than their refined petroleum counterparts.

Why Synthetic’s?

Reduce the cost of ownership thru:

• Longer oil drain intervals
    • Lower maintenance costs,
    • Less wear from better oils

Other factors

• Tighter engine mechanical tolerances means higher lubricant stress
    • Increased fuel economy
    • Less oil used is better for the environment
    • Lower greenhouse gas emissions thru better fuel economy
    • 1/3 of all lubricants sold in Europe are synthetics
    • 1/3 of all cars sold in Europe come factory filled with synthetics
    • Vehicle manufacturers specifications to meet emissions and fuel economy favor the use of synthetic oils, gear lubes and greases
    Last edited by Z15; 11-08-2013 at 07:30 AM.

Thanks
    Thank you for the input. This is my first gator and a huge investment for me. I just want to keep it in the best condition I can. I would have loved an 825i but my budget wouldn't allow for it.

Thanks
    I left the factory oil in mine for 8 or 10 hours then switched to synthetic. I think quality oil just as important if not more so for an air cooled engine. Some of the clearances are greater but the temperatures can be more severe.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Dane, I thought you had changed to synthetic but could not find the post. Sorry if I might ask some questions here that are kinda no brainers but I am a novice with the UTV rides. It's like getting a new truck you just want to add and add more goodies and keep it in great shape too.

Thanks
    I did not realize the 550 was air cooled.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Yes, the 550 has a Briggs & Stratton Vanguard two cylinder air cooled engine. I think a big part of the reason Deere was able to bring the 550 in at the price they did.

I used to race karts with Briggs engines turning them very fast with almost no regard for temps. I think the oil and a good connecting rod was the only thing that kept them alive.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires