Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Superwinch installed !

Thanks

Superwinch installed !

I finally got the winch completely installed. I would like to thank all the previous posters for their feedback since it made a difference in the process.

Here is the installation process:

Removed the hood to get clean access

Made a cardboard template to locate, checking clearances, and for drilling holes

Solenoid installed

Made a JD like wiring hardness to tap into the switched power plus a new input for other attachments. I purchased the connectors/contacts from Performance Connection Solutions - fast delivery.

Glovebox removed to drill hole for remote.

Glovebox re-installed with remote installed showing clearance of screws. need to keep low

Interior glove box view with remote connection

Wiring harness added to connection on driver's side. Ran wiring from switch/remote in convoluted tubing for clean look

Wiring from remote and dash swtich (red wires) tied to connector going into wiring harness. I cut off the piggy back connectors from handle bar swtich since I was using my own switch.

Dash switches ready for pre-testing. The winch switch is a Contura marine switch (got off ebay) and the off/on switch for power was a Euro style from Allied Electronics done CaptDan style

Switches snapped in - easy to remove if needed

Wiring down to winch. Used red/black to winch, yellow/ blue to battery due to length

Wires going down to winch.

Winch installed on bracket and wired up without remote My winch end stopper had not arrived.

The battery mess before starting.. all those cables are mostly the wiring harness for the add on OPS switch kit and the windshield wiper. It includes more taps, breakers, etc and several unused connectors for who knows what all stuffed by the battery. To get access to under the center console (between buckets) I was able to remove one side and bent up, It looked like a job to remove the console itself (seat belt holders, etc)

Wires running through center channel

Solenoid end all wired up

Mounting the circuit breaker in the soap box and taped it shut

All stuffed back in place. The ring terminal on the negative cable was too small in diameter to fit the negative post screw so had to file it so it would fit over stud.

Center armrest surround back in place

Installed wiring cleaned up somewhat after successful test

Finally installed with rope/stopper

Front view

Close up shot

The Cambridge metals winch bracket worked like a champ and actually easier to install than one would expect. The slotted holes on the rear screws allow you to flip the screws in place since the winch is already bolted to the frame. The connection at winch rear was not too bad.

The winch has plenty of room left to right and close at the top.

The rope was easy to install after I replaced the vinyl tape on the end and re-wrapped. It slid through easy and taped to drum along length per instructions from Superwinch.

I ordered the winch stopper from amazon. It fed easily on rope and had slots for rope protector.

The only change I plan to make it add a connection in the power feed line from remote connector to wiring harness on opposite side. I realized after installation that since the remote socket is installed from inside to remove glove box requires pulling the the power line from the tubing I added for wiring so will break the line near the solenoid.
    Last edited by Bunky; 11-15-2013 at 04:42 PM.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Wow Bunky, excellent write up and detailed pics. This will surely help anyone planning on going this route, myself included. Thanks for taking the time to post!!

Thanks
    Bunky - one suggestion. I noticed this was posted in the Gator Showroom forum but not in the actual 825i forum. You may want to post it there as well so the 825i guys don't miss it. I only saw it because I was looking at the "new posts" page. This definitely deserves a sticky in the 825i forum.

Regarding your on/off switch. Can you clarify on the wire routing? It looks like you ran the middle red wire from the rocker switch to the on/off switch, then ran another red wire from the on/off switch to your homemade daisy chain, and there's another red wire that trails from the connector that plugs into the daisy chain and it leads toward the opposite side of the hood compartment. After that, I can't tell where it goes.

Thanks
    Maybe the mods can just move it if they feel people will miss it.

The red wires are the power feed lines for the remote and the handlebar switch. These are connected to the switched hot line from the harness (if attached to an always on circuit the winch could work with ignition off). One red wire is the feed for the handlebar switch and the second feeds the remote switch which is just another momentary switch.

For the handlebar switch that I converted to a dash switch, I cut off the switch end, put slip on terminals on the green/black wires and attached to the two sides of the momentary dash switch.

The red hot power wire (reused the red wire that came with the cable) for the handlebar switch was paired with the other red power wire into a connector that attached to the yellow/black wiring harness. The red wire goes from the harness to the on/off switch first and then to the center position of the momentary switch. This prevents momentary actuation (takes 2 actions, switch on, press momentary). It seemed like a good idea. If I get the turn signals, I may either move the on/off to another position or just eliminate it. With the slip on connectors, it is no big deal.

For the second red wire to the glove box remote, this ran directly from the remote connector in the glove box to the harness connection tied with the other red wire. This is the one I plan to just made a quick disconnect in case I need to remove the glove box so I will not have to go all the way to the harness to make the connection and then it tied to the wires going to the dash switch.

The way the circuit works is if you apply power to the lower terminals of the solenoid this actuates the winch. The direction it goes (in or out) depends on which side so both the remote and the dash feed feed the power to those terminals. Thus, you provide power to both the remote and the dash and if the circuit is completed the winch turns. The direction depends on whether you actuate the green or black wire of the solenoid.

The green/black wires are connected to two spade terminals at the solenoid too. The harness for the handlebar switch has a piggy back style slip on connector to allow a second spade slip so this is why I reused the handlebar cabling on the solenoid end plus it also had protective cabling.
    Last edited by Bunky; 11-16-2013 at 06:56 AM.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    I'm glad it went well. How did your re-tape the synthetic rope? I had a bugger of a time getting mine through the hole in the winch drum.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Nice no excellent job . A true craftsman well done yourself
    GO BRONCOS
    855 Diesel c/w block heater* High Performance Sport Seats - Black with camo seat covers* Deluxe Cab Frame/Including Windshield, Wiper, Electrical Kit and Rear Window * Power and Front Protection Package * Rear Protection Package * Deluxe Cargo Box w/Polyurea Liner/Brake & Tail Lights & Protector *Back up lights * Front Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Rear Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Interior Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Side Mirrors - Deluxe Cab*Long Range Light Kit * Deluxe Signal Light Kit * Kolpin chainsaw mount*Kolpin double gun cases *4500 lbs superwinch*Hella spotlights*UTV cab heater*

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    I'm glad it went well. How did your re-tape the synthetic rope? I had a bugger of a time getting mine through the hole in the winch drum.
    I think the difference was the tape width and wraps. The wrap on the rope was narrow width tape so they must have had at least 10 wraps and each wrap is an edge to be exposed when it is bent. I used 1/2-in electrical tape and maybe had 5 wraps for the same distance plus re trimmed the end - stuff did not cut easily.

This morning I unspooled it and spooled it under load to get a tighter wrap on the first layer by pulling from a tree so got to use my tree saver and clevis. When the motor is running, the lights dimmed slightly and the engine slows when the winch engage but stabilized.

I credit the lack of issues to you and others here on setting a high standard to do it right.
    Al

Thanks
    I'll have to pay better attention the next time I use the winch to see if my motor bogs. The 550 has such a small alternator I don't know if it can drag the engine down enough to notice.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    It was not anything significant. I just noticed it the first couple times I was pulsing it since I had the headlights on. I wonder if the winch warms up a little the current draw drops slightly.
    Al

Thanks
    excellent job bunky! the soap dish worked well didn't it? I had used the same for mine. easy access in the event of any troubleshooting. again FINE work buddy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast