Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Change

Thanks

Oil Change

I'm changing the oil in my 825 tomorrow, any watch outs or is it a pretty simple task. I have a few oil filter wrenches to try and a large pair of channel locks if needed. Let me know how long it should take...and based off of earlier posts it looks like the consensus is about 2-1/3 quarts of oil??
    Aaron

2011 Olive and Black 825i...poly roof...full windshield...black alloy wheels with Maxxis tires...front fender guards...and grille guard

Thanks
    I'm sure you heard about problems removing the original factory installed filter. I used the replacement JD filter to select the correct filter cap socket. Unfortunately, the factory filter was slightly larger - just enough the cap socket would not easily slide onto the filter. I was able to coax it in place with the butt end of my hammer, then connected the socket extension and handle. The filter came off pretty easy after that.
    2013 XUV 825i Olive/Black--Black Alloy Wheels and Bighorns, Front and Rear CV Guards, Power Tilt, Front and Rear Protection Packages, Front Hood Rack, OPS Poly Roof, Switch Box, Front and Rear Mid-Range Lights, Long Range Lights, Bench Seat, Superwinch Terra 45, CMP Winch Mount, Comfort Straps and Camo Cover

Thanks
    I changed mine recently and the JD filter cap did not fit snuggly so I had to push to hold the cap on the filter and then turn it with the ratchet. It came off with some work.

The flutes on the factory filter (a Chinese marked brand) did not match JD wrench cap but was close. Luckily, I could get the body position to get it done but it was on tight. The JD brand filter I used appeared to fit the wrench better,

Good luck.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Anyone have the correct part number for the JD filter cap?

Thanks
    This is what I got

John Deere 2-1/2-inch Cap Style Filter Wrench - TY26639
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Probably not necessary but I enlarged the hole in the skid plate to allow easier access to the drain plug and to keep the oil from getting all over the upper side of it. Plus the magnetic drain plug is a bit difficult to grab hold of just when it comes off and would get stuck to the side of the skid plate contributing to the oil mess. I took the skid plate off and with my jig saw just cut the opening to the size of a small coffee can. Makes changing the oil a lot easier.

Thanks
    It takes me 15 minutes and that includes removing the skid plate , removing the old oil filter and installing new one and drain and refill engine oil . " piece of cake "

Thanks
    Oil change went well and I'm sure this will be a quick process next time....I used about 2.5 qts
    Aaron

2011 Olive and Black 825i...poly roof...full windshield...black alloy wheels with Maxxis tires...front fender guards...and grille guard

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pcbunn View Post
    I took the skid plate off and with my jig saw just cut the opening to the size of a small coffee can. Makes changing the oil a lot easier.
    I am sure that would help since after I finished I noticed oil dripping from several of the openings in lower skid plate so I put something under the Gator to prevent oil on the floor. I do like the magnetic plug idea though.
    Last edited by Bunky; 11-24-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Al

Thanks
    On a side note my oil filter wrench worked great....it is a 64/65 mm with 14 flutes...got it from Advanced Auto Parts for like $5...fit perfectly
    Aaron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast