Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken front axles

Thanks

Angry Broken front axles

Hi guys,
    Im looking for some wisdom.
    I have a bone stock 2012 825i with bighorn tires on it. I have now broken my third front axle.
    I have 425 miles on my gator and not hard on it. I have a Boss V-plow on it and use it mostly for plowing snow.
    My first axle broke while still under warranty and John Deere replaced it. The second one broke only 1 month out of warranty and John Deere said too bad so i purchased a replacement from Titan axles as they are made of Chromoly and state they are stronger than factory. Yesterday i broke the other stock front axle ( the one John Deere replaced) and am gettin completly frustrated. If i wanted a cheap P.O.S. that was going to break i would have bought a Polaris, not a John Deere. I am regretting chosing this machine over the Kubota RTV 900.
    Any feed back would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    I'm not sure one why they break but I broke my first one on my 2012 Gator this morning plowing snow. I'm waiting for the dealer to come get it and fix it now.

The Kubotas aren't all that peachy either....that's what I got rid of to get the Gator.....they have no power and sink like a rock. The paint on mine had pretty much all fallen off by the 6 month mark in the bed and they did nothing about it, the differential lock wasn't working and I had that annoying steering squeak that they all seem to get....it started that at 6 hrs.

Thanks
    i have a 1983 John Deere 310A Rubber Tire Extend-a-ho with 8000 hrs on it that's bullet proof !!!
    Silly me to expect the same from John Deere on a "Recreation Vehicle"

Thanks
    Can you clarify what the operating conditions were during the shaft failure? It seems related to plowing with the Gator, but were you in 4WD, high or low? What were the snow conditions? What failed, the CV joint or the shaft itself?
    2012 John Deere 825i with power steering, power dump, poly roof, no-scratch windshield, deluxe light kit, Maxiis Bighorn, Kolpin HID headlight kit and two JD work light kits.

Thanks
    interested in what's breaking them as well since I plow snow with my 2013. I've only plowed twice so far so am curious if there is anything I need to keep an eye out for.

Thanks
    I really believe it's more defective parts than anything. It's not necessarily a plowing thing it's anything that puts a load on the axle....plowing just has a tendency of doing that a lot.

I broke my left front axle....not sure if everyone else just has a problem with the left front or if the right axle breaks as well....they are the same part number so I'd assume they each break about the same amount of times. A lot of the parts for Gators appear to be made in China which I'm sure impacts the amount of defective parts that get put into machines.

Thanks
    I will be buying a UTV in the next few months and some of these reports with the JD are giving me pause.

Thanks
    I have broken mine as well. If I recall, most people break them while in 4WD and backing up with the steering wheel turned fully one way. There was a video on here of a guy showing himself in reverse, steering wheel cranked and it breaking the front CV joint, but for some reason the video quickly went away.
    2011 825i, Camo, Sport seats, Big Horn Tires, black rims, Poly No-Scratch windshield, OPS poly roof, Kolpin rear windshield, JD toolbox, Kolpin Double Rifle mount, Fender guards, front brush guard and rack, tail light covers, rear bumper, Warn XT40 winch, CV joint guards, RotoPax Fuel and water cans.

Thanks
    I look at it a different way. The axles are designed to be the weaker link between the wheel and the front differential. Yes, I have replaced a few axles. I know one of them was because of abuse. I would rather replace the axles than the differential or broken pieces in the transmission.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trphyhunt View Post
    I look at it a different way. The axles are designed to be the weaker link between the wheel and the front differential. Yes, I have replaced a few axles. I know one of them was because of abuse. I would rather replace the axles than the differential or broken pieces in the transmission.
    A good point, but how much does it cost to replace the axles?
    2012 John Deere 825i with power steering, power dump, poly roof, no-scratch windshield, deluxe light kit, Maxiis Bighorn, Kolpin HID headlight kit and two JD work light kits.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jradue For This Useful Post:

kphayes (01-07-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast