Thread: Xuv 550 vanguard engine

Thanks

Xuv 550 vanguard engine

What kind of upgrade if any would you have to do to the transmission, differential to replace the 16hp vanguard engine with say a 29hp big block vanguard engine?

Thanks
    You are virtually doubling the power. Even if you got the differential and drive system beefed up, you will still have jack shaft problems to deal with. If you're just going to putt around very easy carefully, you still might have problems. I've never seen anyone that wanted to double power that could manage to keep their foot off the loud pedal.

If you want a serious power improvement, you will serve yourself better by moving up to a more powerful unit with everything beefed up to handle the power.
    Doc
    2013 825i
    I live so far out in the boondocks, my TV runs on propane.

Thanks
    I've run the scenario you are considering a million times. It's a fun mental exercise and maybe something fun to try if you've got a machine that's otherwise toast. Is your's toast? If so which parts?

If you want a project and to go faster why not drop in a motorcycle engine? An engine topping out at 6 or 7k rpm could yield higher top speed without having to change any gear ratios. Or, how about tricking out the engine that's in there already. Remove the governor, billet connecting rods, billet flywheel, advance the timing and run 100LL AVGAS or re-jet the carb and run it on methanol which would also help during hot MS summers.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Dane you're kidding right AVGAS?? wouldn't that blow the heads of the little Vanguard. I guess you could run Nitromethane for about 10 seconds that should get you up to speed I wouldn't want to be within a 100 yards of you when you started it up LOL..

Thanks
    No, just like different octanes of car gas do not provide more or less power avgas is not more potent. It just has a higher octane and is more resistant to detonation. It's the advanced timing and higher compression that would blow the head off. My bet for the first component to fail would be the head gasket or connecting rod if you used the stock ones.

Yea, nitro would give you a kick. It's hard on an engine and I think it stinks but it does work if you're running methanol.

Personally I'm keeping mine stock. I was pulling downed trees out of the pond last week and in 4wd low range I had enough power to spin three wheels. More top end would probably be nice but I'd probably just end up hurting myself.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Dane,
    Yes except for upgrades I'm keeping mine stock too. It's a great little engine it's not fast but a great work horse. I need to start looking for a trailor. I want to take a vacation in the Spring and go out to the California desert with some friends. They have Jeeps so I'll be left in the dust but it still sounds like fun.