Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gator Transportation

Thanks
    Nice setup, and a double or triple win when you factor in all the variables. That's the kind of purchase I like, when you were going to have to spend the money anyway!

Did you get four wheel brakes? I'm hearing that to be DOT compliant that is now required, but I'm still trying to clarify if that is applicable to private or commercial use. And I may be exempt since it will be primarily for transporting the Gator from one farm to another. Still checking it all out.

Funny thing is that I was just online looking at enclosed trailers with 6'6" of headroom but I'm thinking that 7' would be a lot more comfortable as I'm 6'3". And if I ever needed to lift my Gator or if a future generation of Gators were taller, I'd already be set. Seven feet would also allow me to handle taller antique furniture that I occasionally haul for our Aunt and Uncle.

Thanks for sharing.

GGB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
    It was custom made with the additional height to accommodate the Gator. The motivation to buy the trailer was/is that I am moving south from NJ to outside Ocala, Florida. I will be making several trips back and forth in the next several months - bought 30 acres of property and building a house. It would have cost me about $2150.00 to rent a u-haul truck or other rental truck - one way from NJ to Florida, plus tax etc for a 20' truck. The trailer is actually a few cubic feet larger than a 20' U-haul truck (20' long + 2.25 vee, 7' inside height clearance, 8.5' wide. Plus the trailer deck is about 12 inches off the ground - while the U-haul truck deck is 3 feet off the ground - makes a big difference when loading heavy things like a piano, appliances, a Gator ( it has to get to Florida )

So the trailer will be a break even venture after the second trip. Then I still have a trailer I can use to move additional stuff, including the Gator. The trailer is very versatile, is wired for AC, which I will install once I get the trailer home. It will be used as my construction management office on site during the construction phase, it will be used as a garage for the Gator on site during construction, as the security office on site during construction and will be used to secure & store supplies and materials.

Additionally, as I see exactly how much it affects gas mileage - I bring it back to NJ just to bring supplies back down on a return trip. I pass thru Delaware - a no sales tax state - so if it does not kill my gas mileage - I will also use the trailer to bring suplies such as all of the new appliances down. At 7% $10,000 worth of appliances and other building supplies = $700.00 in sales tax - nothing to laugh at.

So it will be put to good use and eventually be kept around just for Gator Transportation. I would like to try out some of the off road parks with it in the next year.
    Capt Dan I like the way you think when I read this I could have written it myself we are certainly on the same page .
    855 Diesel c/w block heater* High Performance Sport Seats - Black with camo seat covers* Deluxe Cab Frame/Including Windshield, Wiper, Electrical Kit and Rear Window * Power and Front Protection Package * Rear Protection Package * Deluxe Cargo Box w/Polyurea Liner/Brake & Tail Lights & Protector *Back up lights * Front Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Rear Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Interior Light Kit - Deluxe Cab * Side Mirrors - Deluxe Cab*Long Range Light Kit * Deluxe Signal Light Kit * Kolpin chainsaw mount*Kolpin double gun cases *4500 lbs superwinch*Hella spotlights*UTV cab heater*

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zdhfarms View Post
    Haha if I had to justify everything I would have nothing!

Ha - so true

I have been happily single for 20 something years now - was - ok still am - a single dad - they are just grown up now. I always said that I only found one major malfunction to not having a wife. That one thing is there is no one to talk sense into me When I see an ad on Tv for jet skis as my daughter and I watch a game on the TV, I say to her - that looks like fun - maybe i should get one of those - her response is yeah Dad you should - you would probably love it - maybe you should get two so I can come riding with you - I think ok - a plan of action - except instead of riding with me it's more like - can my bf and I borrow the jet skis on Saturday ?

and so many other things - if ever had to justify them I would not have them - but life is good and meant to be enjoyed and not endured !

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GGB View Post
    Nice setup, and a double or triple win when you factor in all the variables. That's the kind of purchase I like, when you were going to have to spend the money anyway!

Did you get four wheel brakes? I'm hearing that to be DOT compliant that is now required, but I'm still trying to clarify if that is applicable to private or commercial use. And I may be exempt since it will be primarily for transporting the Gator from one farm to another. Still checking it all out.

Funny thing is that I was just online looking at enclosed trailers with 6'6" of headroom but I'm thinking that 7' would be a lot more comfortable as I'm 6'3". And if I ever needed to lift my Gator or if a future generation of Gators were taller, I'd already be set. Seven feet would also allow me to handle taller antique furniture that I occasionally haul for our Aunt and Uncle.

Thanks for sharing.

GGB
    Yes Sir, four wheel electric brakes - my only real question when I was ordering it was type of axle, spring mounted or torsion axles. I went for the spring mounted ones - but somehow wound up with the torsion axles without paying the upgrade charge. I also had ez tracks installed front to back on the floors and 1/2 up on the side walls so I could secure stuff along the wall.

I also thought about the extra height in case i had to lift the Gator to do some field repairs, but also because I plan on installing a vhf/uhf radio in the Gator and will need a small antenna - extra height is always good.

Dan - NJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12