Thread: Knocking/Tapping in Engine (Engine Area)

Thanks

Knocking/Tapping in Engine (Engine Area)

I purchased a 2009 Gator 620i with 300 hours on it a few days ago. I discovered today that there is a loud knocking / tapping noise in the engine or area of the engine at idle. The noise tends to either go away or is masked by louder noise of the engine revving when I accelerate. The gator runs and operates fine. The unit has a Kawasaki engine.

Any thoughts on the source of the knocking or if this is normal for this engine/model?

Thanks
    Could be that it had poor fuel in it. or You could have low oil or the oil pump isn't circulating. I've got a few engines that do that and I still can't figure them out. It's like they miss and then stutter and knock and try to die.
    -JD AMT 626
    -JD 855
    -JD 322
    -Quadrunner 250
    -Quadrunner 280 (Project)
    -Big Red 200es
    -Skidoo Mach 1
    -Yamaha DT 175

Thanks
    I took the gator to my local John Deere dealer. They suggested the noise was valve chatter and adjusted the valves. It had no affect on the noise. I did a little more research on line and found one occurence of someone with a XUV 620i with fuel injection who was told that the fuel injected Kawasaki V twin engine was notorius for its valve clatter that could not be resolved. Is anyone else aware of this being an issue?

Thanks
    sounds to reason that if you didn't have the noise before it wouldn't be a valve clatter noise all of a sudden I know a faulty injector can make a taping or knocking noise other then that carbon accumulated on a piston can make a knocking noise try some injection cleaner in the engine , sea foam works very well hope this helps