Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Padding the forum?

Thanks
    WoeII, have you checked the IP addresses of the "new" members? Any clue as to the source country?

I have been trying to think of something but I don't understand what and why it's going on. If spam were to follow I'd understand but I'm suspecting a spammer's programming glitch or another possibility is that this is someone's resume. Someone wrote code that can get through the spam filters and everything else. They want to demonstrate their prowess but not do real harm.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    WoeII, have you checked the IP addresses of the "new" members? Any clue as to the source country?

I have been trying to think of something but I don't understand what and why it's going on. If spam were to follow I'd understand but I'm suspecting a spammer's programming glitch or another possibility is that this is someone's resume. Someone wrote code that can get through the spam filters and everything else. They want to demonstrate their prowess but not do real harm.
    1) Country:
    United States us flag
    State/Region:
    Oregon
    City:
    Portland

2)Country:
    United States us flag
    State/Region:
    Maine
    City:
    Raymond

3) Country:
    United States us flag
    State/Region:
    Florida
    City:
    New Smyrna Beach

4)Country:
    United States us flag
    State/Region:
    Indiana
    City:
    Indianapolis

5)Country:
    United States us flag
    State/Region:
    North Carolina
    City:
    Hayesville

6)Country:
    United States us flag
    State/Region:
    Michigan
    City:
    Ann Arbor

7)Country:
    United States us flag
    State/Region:
    Texas
    City:
    South Houston

8) Country:
    United States us flag
    State/Region:
    North Carolina
    City:
    Raleigh

9)Country:
    United States us flag
    State/Region:
    North Dakota
    City:
    Bismarck

10)
    United States us flag
    State/Region:
    Vermont
    City:
    Stowe

Here is the last 10 new members.

Thanks
    There is something definitely going on. So many new members who show zero posts and they never return to post again. It's going to take someone much smarter than I to figure out.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    @Dane
    We cant force anyone to post. Its normal to every forum to have new members but doesn't post.
    If they are spammers, they should have already posted spam threads.

Ill try to implement IP check to figure out if there are multiple users with the same IP..

Thanks
    In all the forums I participate in, the number of posters is quite low compared to the number of members.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    In all the forums I participate in, the number of posters is quite low compared to the number of members.
    That's pretty normal. Almost all forum are like that. Unless they have strict moderation to new members, and we don't want to do that.

Thanks
    The number of people who visit a forum is a huge number. Then the people that sign up is a smaller group and the smallest group are the active posters. Most join the forum for a reason; show off their new toy, ask advice or want to know how to do something. Very, very few go to the trouble of signing up just to make one post in the intro section. It can and does happen legitimately although it is a rarity. I suppose at this point we should just be happy they are not spamming.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    The number of people who visit a forum is a huge number. Then the people that sign up is a smaller group and the smallest group are the active posters. Most join the forum for a reason; show off their new toy, ask advice or want to know how to do something. Very, very few go to the trouble of signing up just to make one post in the intro section. It can and does happen legitimately although it is a rarity. I suppose at this point we should just be happy they are not spamming.
    Posts that members attach pics to can not be seen unless they sign up. The forum from day one has had a massive amount of lurkers.

Thanks
    I don't know what was done but there have been very few to no bogus "new" members. Whatever was done I have to say thank you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345