Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Padding the forum?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Ban the offending new members. They probably aren't coming back anyhow but best to shut the door. Sometimes they're just trolling or building a post count to get around forums with a minimum post count on new members.

Move the "Hi" threads to the archive out of public view or delete them so valid members are not wading through 3/4+ of new posts being spam.

Spank members like Kerry G who just shotgun through the forum adding emoticons or short BS phrases as a response to 20 posts at a time.
    If there are any members offending people please let me know. We got an awesome family here and want to keep it that way with more awesome people.

This week I did some advertising and that's why we have a influx of new members. I did a targeted ad that so far has hit 23240 people. We have to welcome new members. More members, more ideas and awesome Gator pictures. I check everyday the IP addresses to make sure they are good and not from China were spam comes out of.

Kerry G is an old friend of about 10 years now. He was excited for me when I opened the doors on the forum and he jumped right in for support. He is not a big Gator fan but he is a good friend and participates with what he can. Most of his threads are in off topic area so he is posting his thing right where he needs to be. Good cat....give him a shot.

Thanks
    Yes, I'm a dick... but I'm not trying to be a dick. I sincerely want to see this forum succeed, attract anyone interested in Gators. I mod a couple other forums. One is pretty large and it takes a fair bit of work to keep it on track and successful. It's never easy and spammers are always inventing new tricks.

Give new posts the smell test. A short phrase generated by a bot smells different than someone who needs help with their Gator or is really excited about their new toy. Some folks are one hit wonders but they at least go on about their new toy or the problem they're having.

Some folks treat a post count like a badge of honor or popularity contest. Does a farmer with a Gator want to see post after post of smiley faces? Will non-substantive posts make a Gator owner visit the forum more often? It's your forum. You can make it whatever you want. Just keep in mind that these are farmers, contractors and guys hell driving through the forest. Not teenagers making friends on FaceBook or living and dying by Twitter.

If someone jumps the snake river in a rocket powered Gator with Evil Kinevel's ashes in the glove box... Yes, that warrants about any reply you can muster. Smiley's and thumbs up all around. But, how frequently will a real Gator owner/user return to the forum after seeing page after page of bogus intros and replies? I see about three pages of intros today. Were there any "real" posts elsewhere in the forum? I don't know. I'm a bung hole and don't have the attention span to look. Will the "real" and valuable members pick through the pages to find the real posts and want to come back?

---
    If you think managing this forum is difficult. Try a home brewing forum where drunk posting is almost required.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Yes, I'm a dick... but I'm not trying to be a dick. I sincerely want to see this forum succeed, attract anyone interested in Gators. I mod a couple other forums. One is pretty large and it takes a fair bit of work to keep it on track and successful. It's never easy and spammers are always inventing new tricks.

Give new posts the smell test. A short phrase generated by a bot smells different than someone who needs help with their Gator or is really excited about their new toy. Some folks are one hit wonders but they at least go on about their new toy or the problem they're having.

Some folks treat a post count like a badge of honor or popularity contest. Does a farmer with a Gator want to see post after post of smiley faces? Will non-substantive posts make a Gator owner visit the forum more often? It's your forum. You can make it whatever you want. Just keep in mind that these are farmers, contractors and guys hell driving through the forest. Not teenagers making friends on FaceBook or living and dying by Twitter.

If someone jumps the snake river in a rocket powered Gator with Evil Kinevel's ashes in the glove box... Yes, that warrants about any reply you can muster. Smiley's and thumbs up all around. But, how frequently will a real Gator owner/user return to the forum after seeing page after page of bogus intros and replies? I see about three pages of intros today. Were there any "real" posts elsewhere in the forum? I don't know. I'm a bung hole and don't have the attention span to look. Will the "real" and valuable members pick through the pages to find the real posts and want to come back?

---
    If you think managing this forum is difficult. Try a home brewing forum where drunk posting is almost required.
    We are in the same boat then. I come from a forum of 13 years membership and has over 366,000 members.

Thanks
    I am going to have to say, there is an excessive amount of "people" joining the forum. Has this ever happened before?
    Will

2014 XUV 825i Olive/Black, Silver Alloy Wheels Maxxis Bighorn Radial Tires, Front protection package, rear screen, OPS Poly Roof, Power Steering, extra roof lights, Power lift, Racing seats, Horn

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by willber11 View Post
    I am going to have to say, there is an excessive amount of "people" joining the forum. Has this ever happened before?
    This past week I did a target add and the final numbers it reached were 30,512 people. Out of that number 35 seemed to have joined.

Thanks
    WOEII, I think you are saying all those members with auto posts are considered real people and not just spammers. A number of people join but never post. The most suspicious ones are the ones with just a random set of letters.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    WOEII, I think you are saying all those members with auto posts are considered real people and not just spammers. A number of people join but never post. The most suspicious ones are the ones with just a random set of letters.
    Hey Bunky,
    A lot a of people join and don't post but want to see the picture attachments and that can only be seen with a membership. I have gone through all the new memberships and cross referenced the IP address and made sure it's not Chinese based of origin. This past week I also weeded through back to Jan 1st and deleted all the ones with just a random set of numbers and letters. (Those were all from China) We should be clean and good to go.

If I am not understanding things please show me a link or picture of what you are seeing and also report anything you see off so I can fix. Sometimes I can be as thick as brick!

Thanks
    For example today,

There is a post by sanguiy0 and huihuang3. These are foreign names of course but even what is in the automessage is odd. I guess these have been vetted?
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    For example today,

There is a post by sanguiy0 and huihuang3. These are foreign names of course but even what is in the automessage is odd. I guess these have been vetted?
    Cleaned them up on my evening intro check as well as changed the registration human verification question.

Thanks
    Ok, I see how this works. During the overnight, new members are auto introduced and then you come behind in the morning to prune the spam.

Do you mod for autopia.org?
    Al

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast