Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: chatter when downhill freewheel

Thanks
    Okay, I understand now duling. It is also against my nature to bend things around and force them apart or back in place like you have to do with that cover. I had to sort of collapse it between the secondary clutch and some other obstruction and just force it out and back in. Doing something like that is nerve wracking for me. Forcing things can cause lots of problems, but I guess JD didn't mind making us nervous.
    Doc
    2013 825i
    I live so far out in the boondocks, my TV runs on propane.

Thanks
    yea, that's the issue. I would have sworn that I was going to shatter it but I guess JD just wants you to bend it like a pretzel and stuff it in there. Belt should be here today, looks like the 6-pack mechanic shop will be open for business tonight. :)
    825i Camo, 3500lb Warn, Big Horns, Poly cab

Thanks
    MBDiagMan you mention new clutch weights, do you know the part number for the replacements and does your comment mean that the upgraded weights will keep the clutch engaged on a down hill run and basically add hill breaking? That would be a good feature to stop the free wheeling down hills.

As for the cover, the only bolt I ever have a problem with is the bottom one behind the frame. just a pain since you cant get a socket on it it just takes a while with an wrench to move the sucker. I have had he cover off several times since I have seem to have to clear the clutch every time I do any serious off roading. Dust and mud build seems to need to be cleaned or it just does not shift well.

Thanks
    That cover is a bear....worst part is you have to be careful not to knock the gasket out of the groove with all that jossling around too. Another inch of clearance would have make all the difference in the world.

Thanks
    Well, my belt wasn't the problem. It was in decent shape but I changed it anyway. After several 12oz cans of thinking and inspection I found that the new clutch cover that I ordered from greenfarmparts.com is just slightly smaller than the OEM that I busted when a stick ran through it. When I turn going downhill the cover rubs the outside of the clutch just slightly but still enough to make a sound, so it's not really a big deal. Man that thing is a b^tch to get in there with that seal intact.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duling View Post
    Well, my belt wasn't the problem. It was in decent shape but I changed it anyway. After several 12oz cans of thinking and inspection I found that the new clutch cover that I ordered from greenfarmparts.com is just slightly smaller than the OEM that I busted when a stick ran through it. When I turn going downhill the cover rubs the outside of the clutch just slightly but still enough to make a sound, so it's not really a big deal. Man that thing is a b^tch to get in there with that seal intact.

Like, it was visibly smaller when you held them side-by-side?

Thanks
    I had the same problem with a the housing on mine, a stick got between the CVT intake and the housing and ripped it off, breaking the housing. I ordered part M156914 from greenfarm parts and it was a perfect fit, no rubbing. I also took the opportunity to upgrade the intake to the ones that came with the 2013 (I think that was the year) so it pulling air from next to the frame instead to pointing straight ahead where all kinds of stuff get's splashed in.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skidrowe View Post
    I had the same problem with a the housing on mine, a stick got between the CVT intake and the housing and ripped it off, breaking the housing. I ordered part M156914 from greenfarm parts and it was a perfect fit, no rubbing. I also took the opportunity to upgrade the intake to the ones that came with the 2013 (I think that was the year) so it pulling air from next to the frame instead to pointing straight ahead where all kinds of stuff get's splashed in.
    You don't happen to have the part numbers for what you ordered to do the upgrade do you?

Thanks
    I ordered John Deere Housing M156914 and it looks identical when you hold them side by side but I don't think the flareouts for the clutch cooling fanblades and drive pulley are large enough as it was rubbing slightly at both places.

Thanks
    Here is the parts list that I ordered. You dont need to order a new housing but mine was broke so I had to order a new one. There are several threads that talks about the parts.
    M156914 John Deere Housing M156914 1 $42.84 $42.84
    AM144147 John Deere Tube AM144147 1 $28.52 $28.52
    AM144148 John Deere Tube AM144148 1 $23.01 $23.01
    M88183 John Deere Ring M88183 1 $3.05 $3.05
    M167151 1 $14.20 $14.20

I just had my housing off and there was no rubbing and it fit well. What year is your Gator?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast