Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: headlight recommendation

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mph View Post
    Zepher74,

For both the front and back I fab up some simple brackets. It would have been real easy to mount the fronts on the Poly roof, but I didn't want to drill any holes into it.

The front brackets were made using 1" channel and 1/8"x2" flat stock that was bent to 1-3/4" diameter. Two hose clamps were used to mount to the roll bar. I'm hoping that if I get a front windshield they will still work.

The rear was made from 1" square tubing and some flat stock. They are simply bolted to the home made back support mesh.

Sorry I don't have any pictures of the bracket details.

Attachment 3241 Attachment 3242 Attachment 3243

I need to add some extra lights. The flat spot on the roof seems to be perfect....IF it does not vibrate. I have the same 855D, and your mounts will be a problem with the windshield.

Question on your lights. Would you buy the 27w again? The luminous on those are far better than stock, but I'm thinking I want something a bit more potent. I'd actually like a combination spot/beam that I see in some of the light bars, but with that flat spot just sitting there, lights of this style would mount so much easier. I've also thought of fabing a light bar that would bolt into the front spot and run in front of the roof, so I can use those combination light bar with the spot/beam.

Thanks
    jcummins,

To be honest I can't imagine needing more light than what these put out. There are no dead spots in the beam pattern. They over the power the stock headlights 10 to 1. In fact it's very difficult to tell when the stock headlights are turned on if the LEDs are already on. Given the limited top speed of the 855D I'm not certain you'll need anything more powerful. People that have used my gator at night can't believe the difference over stock. Then again I mostly use the gator in the woods and around the house.

They are cheap enough not to give them a try. If they don't meet your needs mount them in the rear or use them as supplemental reverse lights on a pickup/SUV.

How far does the window stick up into the poly roof? I've never seen a gator with windshield and poly roof 1st hand.
    2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, Front and Rear 4" square 27 watt LED lights, Bad Lands 2500lb Winch installed in bed, Front and Rear CV Guards

Thanks
    I don't know how much trail riding you do but be careful what you have sticking above the top of the roof; I have seen many busted lights parts laying along trails with branches and such overhead. I mounted mine on the windshield second screw hole down from the top to avoid such collisions. I just added a big washer on the back side for added support.
    825i Camo, 3500lb Warn, Big Horns, Poly cab

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mph View Post
    jcummins,

To be honest I can't imagine needing more light than what these put out. There are no dead spots in the beam pattern. They over the power the stock headlights 10 to 1. In fact it's very difficult to tell when the stock headlights are turned on if the LEDs are already on. Given the limited top speed of the 855D I'm not certain you'll need anything more powerful. People that have used my gator at night can't believe the difference over stock. Then again I mostly use the gator in the woods and around the house.

They are cheap enough not to give them a try. If they don't meet your needs mount them in the rear or use them as supplemental reverse lights on a pickup/SUV.

How far does the window stick up into the poly roof? I've never seen a gator with windshield and poly roof 1st hand.
    The top of the windshield has a lip that bends forward to seal against the roof. Pretty much blocks that area.

Last edited by jcummins; 02-09-2015 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duling View Post
    I don't know how much trail riding you do but be careful what you have sticking above the top of the roof; I have seen many busted lights parts laying along trails with branches and such overhead. I mounted mine on the windshield second screw hole down from the top to avoid such collisions. I just added a big washer on the back side for added support.
    I hear you on that. I had a Teryx before this gator....I destroyed the roof within 1 hour after I got it, so lights would struggle there, if the roof can't survive. I may fab a light bar and position it below the front of the roof...just not sure yet.

You have a picture of how you mounted? Any vibration?

Thanks
    I don't have pic but I will upload one tomorrow. I use them to plow snow and like others have stated they are so bright I don't even bother using my headlights anymore. I got them from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I could not be happier. I put a large thin washer on the inside of the windshield to give extra support and then thin weather stripping on the outside of the windshield between the bracket and the windshield to prevent spinning and scratching. I have not had any vibration issues and plowing creates a lot of bangs and bumps especially when you don't see the rogue manhole cover. I bought a set of light mount clamps to use but I ended up liking this setup better. https://extrememetalproducts.com/i-13...acket-set.html I'll probably sell the brackets since I don't have a use for them if you would like to go that route. $20; never used.
    825i Camo, 3500lb Warn, Big Horns, Poly cab

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12