Thread: Winch help, please

Thanks

Winch help, please

I have the Warn winch kit that came stock from JD and it seems to have given up the ghost; I would like not to have to rewire everything and install a KFI or Superwinch in place of the Warn. Does anyone know if I can do that? Will the stock Warn solenoid and paddle wiring run a different brand winch? Am I stuck with Warn unless I want to rewire everything? I must get this fixed before it snows again as I have customers depending on my plow. Thank you for your help!
    825i Camo, 3500lb Warn, Big Horns, Poly cab

Thanks
    Winches are very basic. There are two wires. As long as you get a 12 VDC winch that consumes about the same amount of power your existing wiring should be good.

When I was shopping for winches the 4500 pound Superwinch surprisingly had a lower current draw than the 3500 pound model. I assume because of different gearing.

If getting a new winch take a look at a synthetic cable. They are more expensive but boy is it friendlier to work with. Probably not an issue if you only use your winch once a year but if you use it often it's well worth the money.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dane For This Useful Post:

duling (01-30-2015)

Thanks
    I tested the winch and with a battery pack and it is not burned up, but for some reason she's not getting power. JD uses this plug located behind the winch that could be corroded or it could be my solenoid, I haven't had the time to investigate yet. Gotta get her fixed quick, snow on the way! Thanks for the reply!

Thanks
    Start at one end or the other, the winch or the battery, and trace the cable checking along the way to see where the power stops. Since the winch draws so much current most are controlled by a solenoid so you've got to check it and the wiring in the controls.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    My best is on the solenoid or the connection at the winch.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunky For This Useful Post:

duling (02-02-2015)

Thanks
    The selonoid was trashed, contacts welded together and burned. Cleaned it up and she's working fine. JD had the part listed for $178 but via cross reference I ordered the same thing from KFI for $28. Thanks for the help.