Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm going to buy a new 825i. How would you buy your gator if you bought new today?

Thanks

I'm going to buy a new 825i. How would you buy your gator if you bought new today?

Hi,
    I have finally decided that I am going to buy a new gator. I know what I want but not sure if I should buy it "done" (accessorized through the Deere) or buy a "stripped down model" and buy after market accessories.
    I plan to buy the Deere 825I, Camo. Here is how I'd like it set up.
    Power steering... Is this option worth the extra $1100 dollars?
    Power and protection package. Is the power tilt worth the ~$1200 ($1438 - front protection kit/floor mats). I plan on hauling firewood, but never thought much about the power tilt.
    Alloy wheels with Maxxis tires
    Seat... Not decided. Probably either the standard buckets or bench.
    windshield.
    roof (I really like the diamond plate roof Harry Ferguson installed)
    rear screen
    front and rear protection packages.
    Any other "must haves"

Think that about covers it. Please comment on one or all of the options I have listed. I'd like to know how you like the option and if you would buy it again or buy it aftermarket.
    Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Thanks
    A lot depends on where you will be using it..

power steering - if you can afford it get it especially if you drive tight trails, haul trailers and want to back up, drive rough surfaces (prevents steering wheel kick off)

power dumper - have not needed it. I had the bed loaded with logs and was able to dump it.

CV joint protectors - must have since sticks get caught in undercarriage

protection packages front and rear - if you drive in tight areas, hit brush, etc. then will save a plastic fender or back lights

roof with glass windshield - a must for me since some protection from elements and I wanted a windshield that would not scratch

Rear screen - good for protection from stuff in rear coming forward but does hurt rear view some

side mirrors - I got after market ones

work lights - front and rear depends if you need to use after dark

driving lights - the stock headlights will likely need an upgrade for driving...n

seats - I like the high back sport seats but definitely personal preference

tires - I got the upgraded tires. they road a little better than stock, reasonably turf friendly on dry ground

winch - depends on needs. I have used mine more for pulling down trees, etc since I have not got stuck yet. The front/rear mount option for it gives most flexibility.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunky For This Useful Post:

Rondeeer (09-26-2015)

Thanks
    I would get power steering
    Maxxis Bighorns
    Front protection with dump (I use mine a lot and it works great)
    CV guards
    Rear bumper and protection rails
    Poly roof (It makes a huge difference on sunny days)
    Sport buckets (They are pretty comfy seats and with the shifter setup you can't run 3 wide even with the bench)

If you're not set on camo the olive/black combo is nice and the accessories look much better in my opinion. I didn't care for the camo 825i after I saw one with a roof....just not my favorite. The olive/black is a bit cheaper too if I remember right.

Only thing I wish mine had is power steering, unfortunately it wasn't an option in 12' when I bought mine.

Thanks
    Bunky and Dixiedog,
    Thanks for the replies.
    You both posted a few things I hadn't considered. I will surely get the guarding for cv joints. I will probably get the power steering (I was on the fence about this more than any other option). I will look at the high back buckets. I will also look at the olive green paint, I haven't seen this color at our local dealership. I will likely pass on the power tilt, I have a good sized tractor for heavier stuff. I will surely guard it up pretty well (I will be using it on my tree farm, tight trails and trees). I wasn't sure if there were great aftermarket options that were should be considered.
    If anyone else has ideas I'd appreciate the input. I have some time before I buy.
    Steve

Thanks
    I like the olive and black with black wheels.

This was taken a little over a year ago.

Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

SouthEast Texas (Big Thicket), United States
    Thanks

That's my Gator as it sits now.

I went with an aftermarket top and windshield from Fortress ATV ($1000 combined cost). At the bottom of the windshield there is a panel that can be removed to allow for air flow on warmer days. I went with these due to the fact that they are metal and the windshield is automotive glass (we stand on the top of our buggies to fill deer feeders and drive through a lot of cedar that likes to hang on stuff).

As far as lights, I just buy fog lights from WalMart for additional lighting in the front and back ($20). The green lights in the cab are from AutoZone ($10) (little strip led lights with adhesive on the back). I purchase marine grade switches from Ace Hardware that fit in the provide slots ($9).

Spend the money on powersteering. Wish they offered it when I purchased my Gator they didn't so I installed a "trucker's knob" on mine to assist with steering the rocky hills on the Texas Hill Country.

David in TX
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Skillet23; 09-29-2015 at 11:09 PM.
    2011 825i - Olive Green & Black - Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires - Bench Seat - Custom Built Backsplash - Power and Front Protection Package - Rear Protection Package - Front Hood Rack - Sprayed Cargo Box Liner - Cargo Box Mat - Tail Light Protectors - Front & Rear CV Guards - 500lb. Cargo Carrier (rear receiver) - Dual rear receiver w/extension - 150lb. Cargo Carrier (front receiver) - Tailgate feeder (rear receiver) - Fortress Brand Metal Top - Fortress Brand Windshield - 2500lb. Warn Winch - Custom Built (by me) Bow Holder - Big Sky Racks Dual Gun Holder (mounted under cab) - 2" Front Lift Kit - Upgraded Rear Suspension ( 10" x 800lb. coil springs on Polaris Ranger HD Shocks) -

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skillet23 For This Useful Post:

oregonfj (09-29-2015)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillet23 View Post

That's my Gator as it sits now.
    Did you forget the link to the image?
    Al

Thanks
    Thanks David,
    I was hoping I would see some input from people that chose aftermarket rather than Deere and how they liked them.
    I'd like to see a pic if you can post.
    Funny, all you guys that replied are olive green and black so far.
    Steve

Thanks
    Welcome Steve,
    First off, sounds like you've done the research, consider both John Deere & aftermarket options. Whatever works best for you.

1) Power Steering is worth the factory install price, if you don't want to tackle it yourself as an after market option. The 825i has very little space in the front hood area, so get the Power Steering from the factory.

2) You say you plan on hauling firewood so spend the money on the Rear Tail light Protectors BM22773 & a rear bumper either John Deere Brand or aftermarket. Add some extra screening to the Rear tail light protectors if you're handy.
    Consider the Deluxe Cargo Box with Polyurea Liner, Steel will dent really fast. Do you have dogs? They'll want to ride I bet, consider a 4 x 6 x 3/4" mat for the cargo bed from Tractor Supply. Cheaper then JD, but better for hauling wood & dogs. About $120 from JD, $40 from Tractor Supply.

3) If you're riding in tight trails, consider steel wheels. Steel cost less & won't scratch like the alloy. I know someone whom scratched the alloy wheels on their UTV the 1st day they had it. Was very unhappy for days afterward.

4) Seats, consider how many people in your family or whom you ride with & then decide. A lot of folks say the bench is useless for a 3rd person because of where the shifting lever is. I bought the sport seats & aftermarket covers. Oh yeah, consider seat covers, I got mine from Gilmore's Camo & really like them. JD doesn't offer covers for the bench or sport seats at all. https://www.ebay.com/usr/gillmores-ca...p2047675.l2559

5) Roof is a must, remember it might rain or snow, Limbs might fall, or you could get sun stroke if not careful . Consider add on options you may want to add to the roof later, i.e. lights too.

5)Windshield, John Deere's cost is about $1100.00 for the full glass windshield w/ wiper. The washer tank & spray noozle are $300 extra. Look for an aftermarket. Again, if you'll ride in tight spaces poly or "non-scratch" poly will be difficult to see through after awhile. Get the glass now & save money later. Glass can be repaired or replace if damaged or broke down the road, whereas poly gets scratched over time & is difficult to fix.

6) Rear Screen, well you're hauling wood so be mindful, rear screen doesn't keep the weather out. Another option maybe more appropriate. But then again, no glass to break by accident.

7) I agree with Bunky, Front & Rear Protection if you think you need it. CV Protectors are great, better than the plastic that is stock.

8) Upgrade the stock headlights with something other than what JD put in if you'll use it at night. I also use aftermarket accessory LED lights from Rigid Industries LED, an American company. The SRQ-2's listed in my signature below, fit the Factory Roof like they're made for it & work well I've set them to face behind the Gator. My brother uses Tuff LED lights which work well too. You can add accessory lights later if needed, John Deere's lights fit but are expensive. LEDS are the way to go.

9) Will you be cutting the wood too? If felling or cording the wood, many people including me, have added the Superwinch Terra 45 to their machine, Amazon.com has the best price & synthetic rope is a nice choice. Haul logs, pull hanging trees out of the canopy or get yourself unstuck. If you can add it yourself you save money on John Deere's build your Gator page, it is charges $588.50 for the Warn 3500 lbs or $695.50 for the 4500 installed.

Last edited by BillT; 09-07-2020 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Minor grammar & spelling
    Bill T
    2014 Green & Yellow 825i w/ Power steering , Sport seats, poly cab & doors, front / rear CV guards & Terra 45 Superwinch along w/ Rigid Industries D2 driving lights on brush guard & SRQ2 diffused lights
    on back of cab. Set of Camso 2011 UTV S4 tracks for winter use!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BillT For This Useful Post:

oregonfj (09-30-2015)

SouthEast Texas (Big Thicket), United States
    Thanks
    Pic showing in original post now?
    2011 825i - Olive Green & Black - Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires - Bench Seat - Custom Built Backsplash - Power and Front Protection Package - Rear Protection Package - Front Hood Rack - Sprayed Cargo Box Liner - Cargo Box Mat - Tail Light Protectors - Front & Rear CV Guards - 500lb. Cargo Carrier (rear receiver) - Dual rear receiver w/extension - 150lb. Cargo Carrier (front receiver) - Tailgate feeder (rear receiver) - Fortress Brand Metal Top - Fortress Brand Windshield - 2500lb. Warn Winch - Custom Built (by me) Bow Holder - Big Sky Racks Dual Gun Holder (mounted under cab) - 2" Front Lift Kit - Upgraded Rear Suspension ( 10" x 800lb. coil springs on Polaris Ranger HD Shocks) -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast