Thread: Behind the Dashboard

Thanks

Behind the Dashboard

I had previously tried several methods of removing the steering wheel on my 825i with no success. The guy who assembled it apparently used an air wrench to install the wheel. Manual says tap lightly with a hammer from underneath. I did, and tried a 5 lb. slide hammer too. That baby was on there. Was considering machining a round plate adapter for the 3-jaw puller when inspiration hit. I ran two ratcheting cargo straps around the ROP and attached one to each side of the wheel. Tightened them until they wouldn't click any more and with the nut backed off to the top of the shaft I hit it with the big SnapOn air hammer. Now I can get behind the dash board.
    So here are pics of my new 3-channel gate opener installed in the glove box overhang so it will stay dry. It is a HomeLink unit from a Ford truck visor. Don't use one of the Lear Car2U units, they have no range. HomeLink is the way to go. Wired it to batt so it works with key off, opens my gate, garage and barn door with no looking for the remote. There is sticky tape holding the unit in place but I added zip ties for security.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Nice work. I just carry a handheld unit so I can remove it.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    Very nice