Thread: Anyone been here before?

Thanks

Anyone been here before?

While I have the dashboard off, it is a good time to see about hacking an ambient temp display. When the 825i is turned on, for a few seconds the top center of the dash screen displays "-188* C/F". So the unit is capable of displaying outside temp but John-Deere didn't order that. Two possibilities are: It won't work without proper software and the label says this unit has v1.3, OR: it only needs a thermistor hooked to the correct terminals. If the latter, this should work. Any of the unused terminals on the dash unit might be the one, but connector C-26 terminal D looks likely and it is right next to coolant temp. A thermistor would likely connect between term D26 and F26 gnd. Are thermistor sensors standard? Maybe the dash will "see" the sensor and turn on the temp display? Also, there will need to be a signal to select F or C, which might entail grounding or not grounding one of the remaining unused terminals (maybe S25?). But we see that battery voltage to terminal K-26 selects diesel function, so perhaps B power to another terminal selects C / F. I am reluctant to start jumping battery power to random terminals without knowing which one lets the smoke out. This dash unit is made by Pricol in India and the numbers are visible in the picture I posted. Does anyone know anything helpful about this panel or the hack I am attempting? If this same dash panel is used on something else besides J-D 825i, maybe a temp sensor and schematic is available. I plan to open up the panel and look inside for more clues, but wanted to post what I have in case someone has info.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Harry Ferguson For This Useful Post:

WOEII (03-02-2016)

Thanks
    Interesting post...

Sent from my iPhone using my index finger

Thanks

A deeper look

More details: I took the cluster apart to examine the circuit board. Turns out my guess was wrong, term D-26 is not connected to anything. You can see the dead end connector strip in the closeup of the circuit board. So that narrows the possibilities. I decided to install pigtails in the unused positions of connector C-25, but the GM fuel pump pigtails in my photo did not fit. They are correct for the male pins but don't quite fit the plastic connector body. It is a Delphi connector so I decided to wait and find the correct pigtails before proceeding so as not to bugger up the connector. Then I hope it will be a simple matter of experimenting with the two new wires. I post these pics in the hope someone will have the correct parts or know where I can find them. If there was a Gator junkyard I could just cut the connector off and rob the pigtails...
    By the way, the new gate opener works great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Great post, have you been able to discover anything else with the temp?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gatorwork For This Useful Post:

bradhill (03-03-2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorwork View Post
    Great post, have you been able to discover anything else with the temp?
    ...and governor info?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WOEII For This Useful Post:

bradhill (03-03-2016)