Thread: New tire questions

Thanks

New tire questions

Time for new tires.

Have 14" Bighorns there now. 27x9x14 front, 27x11x14 rear.

Is the rims that come with the gator the same width both front and back? Can you run the 11 wide on the front?...giving the same tire all around. I have an 855D btw. Steering issues??? Rubbing???

The Bighorns are ok, don't think I really need a more aggressive tire. Only got stuck once, and that was in a snow drift from an 18" snowfall. I do not run much on pavement...but I do have a 1/2 mile driveway, mix of asphalt and gravel. I think this is where the tire wear has come in. Fronts are about shot, rears have more tread left. Opinion as to tire alternatives to the Bighorns?

Thanks
    The front and rear rims are a different width on my 550. I have mounted tires on different width rims (plus or minus a couple inches) without trouble as far as getting the tire on the rim. I have put the wide rear tires from my Gator on the front of my 4 wheeler and they do work but there is increased turning resistance. As far as clearance issues turn your steering wheel all the way to the side and take a look at how much room you have around your current 9" wide tires. If it's anything like my mine there should be tons of room with the body but make sure to look around the back side of the tire for clearance from the suspension.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    In my opinion Bighorns are highly over rated. If someone is looking for a tread similar to the Bighorn I found STI Roctanes at Discount Tire to be a great alternative to the Bighorns. In addition the Roctanes are a 8 ply tire vs 6 ply on the Bighorn.

If I was to replace all of my tires, I really like the Rage Storm or the Tensor AT which are DOT approved. Both of which are 8 ply.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ar=10.00&rd=14
    Last edited by bradhill; 03-19-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Thanks
    I can't say that much bad about the Bighorns....but the gator came with them, and never feel they was an excellent tire at all. The wear on them from my driveway seems excessive. For the last year+ I've been avoid running on the driveway where I can. I like the idea of the GBC Mongrel...from a video comparison on RockyMtn...they seem to be more a truck type tire. Your Rage Storm suggestion seems that way too. Better wear on pavement. Several of these newer radical 8ply tires though are coming in bigger sizes than 27x11x14, and I don't want to go bigger, since it would lug this 855D diesel down. I would however like to run 27x11x14 alll around if the rim widths are the same.

Thanks
    I can't find a single thing bad to say about the BigHorns on my 825i. I have only been stuck twice and both times I deserved it. I plow snow on "base coat" pavement and I feel like they have worn very little for the amount of pavement time I've put on them. I have never had an ATV tire grab as hard as they do but that's just my opinion. I have rotated them twice maybe that has helped more than I thought.
    825i Camo, 3500lb Warn, Big Horns, Poly cab

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duling View Post
    I can't find a single thing bad to say about the BigHorns on my 825i. I have only been stuck twice and both times I deserved it. I plow snow on "base coat" pavement and I feel like they have worn very little for the amount of pavement time I've put on them. I have never had an ATV tire grab as hard as they do but that's just my opinion. I have rotated them twice maybe that has helped more than I thought.
    How did you rotate with the fronts smaller than the rears?

OR...do you have same size all around? I'm thinking the rim width on the front/rear are the same, and would really like to go to same size all around to rotate them like a car. My fronts are wore a lot more than my rears. But haven't been able to get an answer on those rim widths.

I don't know the mileage on these since I have no speedometer just an hour meter which reads around 417 hrs. I don't know if that is good are bad, but the Teryx I had before this I had a much more aggressive ITP mud lites on it, and they wore like iron. Couldn't hardly detect wear on them, but that was near 100% dirt, not even much gravel. BUT...that tire would tear the crap out of your lawn, otherwise I would get those.

Thanks
    I just flipped them side to side, not a true "rotation" but I figured that moving them around some would help the wear especially since I plow on paved roads. In my opinion it has seemed to make a difference.
    825i Camo, 3500lb Warn, Big Horns, Poly cab