Thread: Blow By

Thanks

Blow By

There is a hose running to the bottom of carburetor. When removed a small amount of oil and blue smoke comes from the hose. Does this mean the rings are shot. The last time I had my 550 s4 in the shop I had them check the compression and both cylinders were good but that was a year ago. I have 100 hours on the engine and it sat in my garage for the winter. It started with no problem. I was told it was blow by and the rings were shot. I'm not sure what's going on. It seems to run fine but with hose connected it does lose power not much but some. Is the engine shot? Any help would be appreciated. I had a VW with the same type of setup as a Smog device a hose running to the carburetor.
    550 S4 JD Green and Yellow, Lexan Vented Windshield, 3000LB Winch, Bighorn Tires, Alum. Alloy Wheels, Poly Roof, Brush Guard, Rear Bumper, Turn Signals, Flasher, and Stop Lights. Side Mirrors and Rear view mirror.

Thanks

The picture shows the carb of the 550S4. Where's the hose you described. And you're right, blue smoke is no good sign. Next question: has the engine only 100 hours or got it 100 hours in the last year? Who told you, that the (piston)rings were shot? Standing in a garage will not shot the piston rings. Have you changed the fuel after a long time standing in the garage - there can be water in it (bad or the engine).
    And, casually, what VW type have you had with a hose to the carb - never seen before
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jd.rasentrac; 04-19-2016 at 03:53 AM. Reason: it's not easy to load a pic...

Beste Grüße aussem Chatten-Club, Wolle

Thanks
    Thank you for your help. A JD Mechanic told me that it may be the rings. The gas was replaced and I keep a treatment (mechanic In A Bottle) in the gas. It seems to run all right and sounds good. It's hitting on both cylinders. It was sitting most of Autumn and Winter. I bought a Tech Manuel ($125.00) had the Carb rebuilt along with service. I guess I'll use it till it dies. I have over $12,000.99 invested Dang!
    550 S4 JD Green and Yellow, Lexan Vented Windshield, 3000LB Winch, Bighorn Tires, Alum. Alloy Wheels, Poly Roof, Brush Guard, Rear Bumper, Turn Signals, Flasher, and Stop Lights. Side Mirrors and Rear view mirror.

Thanks
    That the right stance. The B&S is a cheap and reliable engine. Is the engine running constant? Btw, you know that backfiring is "normal".

I have no idea, why and how the rings could be damaged standing unused in the garage. Maybe it's a prob w/ the rebuilt carb.
    It will be the best to observe if the engine really loses power. To show potential problems, ride a hard trial w/ the 550S4.

But you didn't answer my question, what type of VW it was...

Beste Grüße aussem Chatten-Club, Wolle

Thanks
    I wouldn't first go to rings. Instead I would think maybe a blown head gasket. Something that engine is known for.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    I bought a $125 for the mechanic guess what he didn't read it. The small hose that comes vacuum valve to the carburetor, if removed, will cause, guess what, blue smoke and oil to spew from the hose. Pulled the bed off put the hose back on with clamps. No black smoke no oil from the tail pipe. It runs fine but I wish there was a way to lube the accelerator cable. It's idling to fast after it warms up the throttle arm/lever is sticking I thought I'd put a light spring on it to pull it back. If I lube it it works for a while.

Thanks
    You can lube the throttle cable. It's best done with the cable removed so you can hang it vertically to let gravity help distribute the lubricant.

XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    Doesn't sound like fun but I'll give her a try. I bought both items you displayed Thanks!
    Last edited by vanderrt; 04-27-2016 at 04:16 PM.

Thanks
    If you decide to lube your existing cable getting the cable assembly itself in and out isn't difficult. Getting access to it is the worst part but most of the threading from front to back can be done from below so you don't have to pull off so many body panels.

I used the stock throttle cable for a while then I replaced the core with 1/16" aircraft cable while retaining the outer sheath. You might find it easier to snip the end off your existing cable and pull out the old then feed in a new cable. It's really quick and easy if you have a crimper to swag stops onto the cable and the cable is so cheap you can just cut off the old and thread in a new, clean one once a year.

When I redid the linkages at my carburetor the Deere throttle cable stuff would no longer work so I replaced it all with one used on VW dune buggies. There are a lot of aftermarket parts and they are surprisingly inexpensive.