Thread: Flood Submerged TX - transmission problem

Thanks

Flood Submerged TX - transmission problem

I have a TX Gator 4x2 that was recently submerged by flood waters over the top of the engine. I have power washed everything, then removed and replace the air filter, cleaned the carburetor, emptied the fuel tank and replaced with fresh gas, changed the oil, pulled spark plug and put WD40 in the hole and ran the starter for several cycles, replaced the plug, cleaned and replaced the battery. Started it up and ran like a top. Checked the transmission fluid and it was dark and not milky so figured it was OK. Shifted and ran fine for about an hour. Stopped it, and went back and it started and ran fine, but you can feel it shift into gear but it will not move. Forward or backward.
    Should I just replace the transmission fluid? Would this be a transmission problem, or a clutch problem. I know little about how the clutch and transmission work on these vehicles and can't find a source of information to teach me. Any help would be appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dkocian For This Useful Post:

Trex (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Can you describe more how "you can feel it shift into gear"? If moving the shift lever feels like it used to then I suspect you have a clutch problem.

If you are having trouble with the Gator not moving I suspect the primary clutch, the one on the engine. It has several surfaces that slide past each other with tight tolerances. Some corrosion or sediment blown into the wrong spot can stop it from moving. If it can't move it doesn't grab the belt and the Gator doesn't move.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dane For This Useful Post:

Trex (05-01-2016)

Thanks
    Thanks. I think you are right. However, I let it sit overnight and this morning, drying out some more, and went back and started it up and it went right into gear. I think there was water in the primary clutch. Hard shifted a few times, but it seems like it is back to normal now. If it goes out, I guess I will be learning a lot about these things. Saw a really decent test and analysis procedure in the service manual, but hope I don't have to use it.

Thanks
    Keep an eye on it and be on the lookout for difficult shifting. If it's difficult to shift into or out of gear don't force the lever which can damage the shift linkage and the transmission. If you are stuck out somewhere and can't get it to shift turn off the engine, shift the transmission then re-start the engine.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires