Thread: 2004 HPX Gator Problem(s)

Thanks

2004 HPX Gator Problem(s)

Hello people. Here we go. So I obtained a 2004 HPX Gator that was sitting for about 4 years. Owner stated that when it ran last, it wouldn't rev up and it was also blowing clouds of white smoke. Coolant level was perfect btw. So replaced battery, drained and added fresh gas, new fuel pump, and new plugs. Removed and deep cleaned carb. It started but #1 cylinder was dead. Found valve lash adjuster laying inside valve cover and pushrod has fallen off rocker. Also found a bent exhaust pushrod on same cylinder. Ok time to tear down. So i found the cam lobe distorted for cylinder #1 intake valve, the tappet was in bad shape also. Found no damage to crank, pistons, valves, head gaskets not blown. So i replaced the governor, cam, tappets, valves(lapped), and re-ringed pistons just because i was already there. Honed cylinders as well. It also has a new ignition module. So it starts with no problems and will idle all day long. The balance seems good and both cylinders are contributing. But when you try to rev it up it only goes up about 1-200 rpms and thats it. I have fuel misting out of the carb at idle and when you try to rev it up, it has a large amount of fuel mist that seems to be blowing back out of the carb. I have cut fuel, cut air, just tried to use brake clean to get a different response but to no avail. It also seems to be puffing air out of the carb like a valve train issue but i'm fairly certain its in time. If it was out of time would it start as well as it does? My compression is 180 per cylinder also. My initial thinking is that its a base mechanical issue but could it be electrical? I bought the technical manual an have tested the resistance of the coils, the crank sensor, and the harness continuity. All within spec and unless I missed something, I have proper voltage where i'm supposed to. Several buddies of mine swears its a carb problem. I dont mind replacing the carb but i'd like to know for sure before spending another $400. Your input would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks
    Did you try putting a timing light on it?

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. So I forgot to update the thread. A few days later I was thinking about it on the way to work and it dawned on me. Did I check the exhaust? The first thing(s) I did when I got it was go through the air inlet and I blew through he exhaust with my mouth and felt air. I didn't think about a partial clog however. I removed the exhaust and she fired up and rev to about 3k rpm's. I installed a new muffler and bingo she runs good. I cut the old pipe open and found what looks like tar clogging the pipes. I've seen blow-by many times but this seemed different. Since then I found that gas mixed with diesel will burn white. So that explains the white smoke issue. I wonder if the oil from the diesel mixed with the carbon in the muffler and created this tar like substance. Either way she runs and drives great. Still trying to get the carb tweaked though. Every couple of stops when put into neutral she idles too high to put into gear. I snap the throttle a couple times and she settles down. This carb was adjusted 10 ways from Sunday before I got it. Any tips would be helpful. I see why the Gator's are popular. I can't seem to get it stuck in anything.