Thread: New Primary clutch has an awful rattle at idle,

Thanks

New Primary clutch has an awful rattle at idle,

I just installed a new AM138487 primary clutch on my 2000 6x4 diesel gator,, it seems to work well, gator shifts easy now. The old clutch was sticking, turns out the plastic parts had broken off on one arm of the spider.

Anyway the new clutch rattles like crazy at idle but stops when you rev the motor enough to put any tension on the belt, I do not remember the factory clutch rattling at all,,, how worried should I be about this? The rattle is rather loud,

The clutch is properly installed and snug on the shaft, belt is properly aligned and in good condition.

It also seems that the gator is not pulling a hill as well as it used to. I only drove it to the bottom of my driveway and back as a test but it is a long and steep driveway.

Thanks
    First off I don't have a 6x4 but can't imagine the primary in the 855D having a significantly different concept. Both my old clutch and new one (<10 hrs on it) do not make any rattling sounds.
    2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, Front and Rear 4" square 27 watt LED lights, Bad Lands 2500lb Winch installed in bed, Front and Rear CV Guards

Thanks
    You said the wear button had come off in the same sentence you mentioned the old clutch. Did the wear button come out of your new or old clutch?
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    The old clutch lost the parts and stuck in the closed position, the new clutch seems to have quietened down some,,, I think part of the difference is that the old clutch had not been completely opening for some time so it always has some tension on the belt. It was always hard to shift because the belt was slightly moving, at idle the new clutch is completely loose on the belt and that is when is is noisy, It shifts really well now though

Thanks
    Assuming noise is present at low speed - Any chance the noise is coming from the secondary? If the primary was in poor shape it could be the secondary is in the same condition.

At idle the primary shouldn't be rotating and thus not making any noise.
    Last edited by 200mph; 09-26-2016 at 07:36 AM.
    2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, Front and Rear 4" square 27 watt LED lights, Bad Lands 2500lb Winch installed in bed, Front and Rear CV Guards

Thanks
    Once the clutch engages at all the noise goes away, only at idle does it make the rattling sound. And it is for sure the primary clutch, the one mounted on the engine crankshaft.