Thread: superwinch 4500 power drain

Thanks

superwinch 4500 power drain

I have just completed installing a superwinch 4500 s on my 2012 825i, all went very well thanks to the many threads I've read on here. However I did notice one thing while testing the winch that I'm not sure is an issue or not so I thought I would put it out here for comments or suggestions. When running the winch in either direction, when I release the switch either the corded remote or the handle bar switch, I notice the power steering warning light flashes once very quickly, actually have to look for it to notice it. I no that this light is also a low voltage warning, has anyone else had a similar issue. Engine running, no other optional power drains are on, battery new.
    Thanks mtgator

Thanks
    When I started my superwinch 4500, I noticed the lights dimmed briefly. If you look at the current load, it draws a lot of power.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks
    How do you have your winch wired? Are you taking it's power directly from the battery?

With no load the specs say it pulls 21 amps and at full capacity it's drawing 178 amps. Your electrical system is surely going to notice when you hit the button.
    XUV 550, engine replaced with Honda GX630, MBDiagman tuned primary clutch, all LED lighting, roof mounted Rigid LED lights, split no scratch wind screen, roof, home made rear panel & window and 1/2 doors, Super Winch 4500, set of CST Ancla tires & set of Carlisle All Trail tires

Thanks
    as per the specs in the superwinch instructions, yes it is direct to the battery, to the solenoid, then to the winch, with both the wired remote and the handle bar switch hooked up to the solenoid per the instructions. Not sure that its an issue, just wondering if anyone else had the same issue. I did have the JD mounting kit so I used their harness as it had the nice heat shrink ends with boots and full loom on the harness, as well as making it a plug and play installation. I did not use the JD mount as it does not fit, I ordered the Cambridge mount from Superwinch. Located the solenoid in the small compartment between the two seats above the shift cables, simple mod to the solenoid bracket supplied in the JD kit. Made for a neat install, still awfully crowded in the wire race under the center console though.