Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New gator coming!

Thanks

New gator coming!

Hello from south Louisiana folks. Placed an order at the Deere farm on February 27th 2017. The date I will remember for a long time because I have been waiting over 5 years to get this thing! I have been a long time lurker here, even before I became a member as well. The beast on its way is Green/yellow 825i deluxe cab, poly doors, bench seat, overhead console w/Bluetooth radio(also bought a microphone that plugs into that radio to be able to make/receive calls hands free like in a car) alloy wheels, 4500lb winch(wireless winch remote coming via Amazon) electric dump bed, all the fender and brush guards they make for it, air filter relocate kit, and a tool box.
    Then the salesman hits me with a delivery date of April 20th!!! My reply, YOU CAN'T SERIOUS? So after 5+ years of pain and suffering (saving) for my gator, I have to wait another near 2 months. Less than a month into waiting after the order date I'd walked the soles off my boots, pulled my hair out, and have no more finger nails.

Pictures to come on the day I get it....if I learn how to post them.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Granger For This Useful Post:

bradhill (04-20-2017)

Thanks
    I like the Bluetooth option! Congrats on the new beast and we love pics!

Thanks
    Granger, hope your ride gets there soon! Hope you sprang for the glass windshield, power steering & bed liner options. Get a bed mat from Tractor Supply for S40.00, & cut to fit, if you didn't buy the one from Big Green. Poly doors are a good choice too. Check out the options at Rigid Industries or Tuff Lights LEDS, if you need add on lights, Rigid is American made.
    If it helps, check out my list of things to consider before buying 1.

1. How will you use it, is this a tool for work or a recreational machine or both? Do your research, do family or friends have a UTV or ATV, who will you ride with? What do they use theirs for? This is a good indicator of what you'll be using your machine for. Ask them about their machines? Do they say they have issues with them? If they could start the buying process again, what would they do different. What about their experiences with the dealer?
    2. Will your spouse, children or dogs be using it with you? Will they drive the machine while you water your flowers from the spray tank accessory, or stand in the back while you use a pole saw? My dogs love riding around in mine. Do children need to take an Off Road Vehicle course in order to drive this? Do you require a machine with only 2 seats or do you need more? Get seat covers too.
    3. What are your state's or province's laws about UTVs. Can you register it as an ATV / Off Road Vehicle or for on road use? Does your area have trails you can ride this on? In New York State, as of April 2017, you cannot register a side by side as an ATV/ Off Road Vehicle.
    4. What is the cost of insurance, call around & find out about it, before spending money on the purchase. Buying a $10,000 plus machine, then asking about insurance is a lapse in judgement. Can this go on your home owner’s insurance? Also does the bank require additional insurance if you are taking out a loan?
    5. Do you have somewhere to store it out of the weather? Leaving it outside will fade the color & beat up on the seats, aging it fast. Should you purchase a cover for it? Will you be storing it for extended periods, i.e. during the winter? Where will you put it? Put it in a heated storage space, if you can.
    6. Do you have a vehicle to tow it & do you own a trailer big enough for it? You can't always burrow 1 from a friend, they may be using it that weekend. If always burrowing a trailer, this is a quick way to sour a friendship. What are the Side by Side's dimensions, how wide, long & tall is it, including accessories, how much does it weight before adding bumpers, roof, winch, windshield etc... If you buy a side by side, you will need to trailer it, even if just back to the dealer for adjustment or repair. You have to think about this cost too. The Gator is 5 ft 2 inches wide by 9 ft 8 inches long & weighs almost 1700 pounds without cab or accessories.
    7. Test drive the machine before buying it. If you don't like it while test driving, then you should ask the dealer why & maybe consider another model. If the dealer doesn't have space to test drive it, find somewhere the dealer will allow you to test drive the machine. Make sure the vehicle is properly set up as agreed with the dealer & test drive the particular machine you buy before leaving the dealer's lot. If something is off, don't take possession until you are happy. Some machines only come with 1 copy of the key. Insist on at least 2 keys, then put the spare away.
    8. How much storage space do you need on the machine, & what do you need on it from the factory? Do you need just a glove box or do you require tool storage for shovels, axes, chainsaws, 5 gallon buckets etc.… What can you add as an aftermarket item or as a down-the-road purchase? Use the dealer’s & aftermarket catalogs for ideas. Ask your friends & family what you need to purchase either from the dealer or aftermarket, before you ride it. I suggest a minimum of seat covers, glass windshield, not poly or “non-scratch” poly, as these will not last as long as glass if not careful & be difficult to see out of, roof along with front & rear bumpers. If this is the first year the machine is being sold, accessories may by minimal, ask about them. Remember aftermarket accessories come out slowly for first year machines.
    9. What do you want to put on the machine that you plan on adding later? i.e. lights, full or particle cab, heater, fertilizer or salt spreader, do you plan on towing a trailer with it? Draw bars for receiver hitches are generally less expensive anywhere other than at the dealer’s store.
    10. If you are thinking about using this for snow removal, the machines generally have no PTO & you'll have to buy either a plow blade or snow blower w/ its own engine. Any accessory lights should be mounted on the roof, they won’t do any good sitting behind the plow blade or snow blower. The machine needs to thaw out between uses too. A “garden” or compact sized tractor maybe better for your needs.
    11. If using this during the winter, consider a full cab with doors & heater, you’ll probably need it.

Best wishes & don't forget, post those videos & pics, we want to see them!
    Last edited by BillT; 04-19-2017 at 08:03 PM. Reason: added to orginal post
    Bill T
    2014 Green & Yellow 825i w/ Power steering , Sport seats, poly cab & doors, front / rear CV guards & Terra 45 Superwinch along w/ Rigid Industries D2 driving lights on brush guard & SRQ2 diffused lights
    on back of cab. Set of Camso 2011 UTV S4 tracks for winter use!

Thanks
    Wow BillT ...

Thanks
    Congratulations Granger .. can't wait for the photos!! Interested to see the radio setup!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WOEII View Post
    I like the Bluetooth option! Congrats on the new beast and we love pics!
    Thanks, I'm super pumped!

Thanks
    BillT, that is an awesome post. Lots of thought put into helping others make the correct decision on a very expensive toy. I did go with glass windshield with wiper/washer. Yes on power steering and factory lined bed as well. LED light bar for the front and cubes for the rear will eventually find their way onto the machine

Thanks
    You betcha Bradhill. That thing will be on a photo shoot at the dealership, before I even load it on the trailer!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Granger For This Useful Post:

bradhill (04-21-2017)

Thanks
    Granger, good to know, & thanks. Sounds as if you're ready to ride. The CV guards are well worth adding too. You're welcome to pass along that list to anyone buying a UTV, tractor or other machine. Tell them to carry a pad of paper & write down why they want it & what they'll use it for before buying 1. Saves time & money down the road...

Edit 20 April 2017 9:40pm, I'd be interested in seeing any pics or video of the glass windshield & wiper controls you bought w/ this. I bought the poly w/ mine 3 years ago & have decided to get a glass one. Wondering if that folding portion leaks at the hinge. If you can, thanks.
    Last edited by BillT; 04-20-2017 at 09:44 PM. Reason: requested pics of windshield & wiper controls
    Bill T
    2014 Green & Yellow 825i w/ Power steering , Sport seats, poly cab & doors, front / rear CV guards & Terra 45 Superwinch along w/ Rigid Industries D2 driving lights on brush guard & SRQ2 diffused lights
    on back of cab. Set of Camso 2011 UTV S4 tracks for winter use!

Thanks
    BillT- I went with the deluxe cab, it is one full windshield. I will still post pics and vid of the windshield and wiper. Also thanks for the reminder on the CV guards. I forgot all about that important accessory. A must for our wooded/muddy waters around here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast