Thread: Rack & Pinion Broke

Thanks

Rack & Pinion Broke

This morning the rack & pinion decided to break. Was literally 2 minutes from parking this & heard a click & a snap! No wheels turning, so there it sits inside, in the way.

Glad it didn't happen while I was out driving, though. Can anyone provide the name of a seller for Gator 825i rack & pinion parts? Something of at least Original Equipment quality or better? Where have you gotten replacement parts?

And to add insult to injury....
    1. I just finished making loan payments on the Gator in March this year.
    2. This morning, a turkey decided to strike the passenger side of my car & broke the side view mirror, thankfully I'm fine & no other damage to the car. $65 + shipping to fix that, too.

Oh well, Breaking out the repair manual & taking a better look at it this week to see exactly what happened, will let you know.
    Bill T
    2014 Green & Yellow 825i w/ Power steering , Sport seats, poly cab & doors, front / rear CV guards & Terra 45 Superwinch along w/ Rigid Industries D2 driving lights on brush guard & SRQ2 diffused lights
    on back of cab. Set of Camso 2011 UTV S4 tracks for winter use!

Thanks
    Too bad! Let us know how easy it is to fix.
    Al

2013 825i - OG&B, Black Alloy Wheels w/ Maxxis Bighorn Tires, Mid range lights (front and rear), Superwinch Terra 45 winch, Koplin Rhino grips, Seizmik mirrors, Silent Benz muffler, rear seat organizer

Thanks

Thanks
    My mechanic called & has taken a look & said it needs the bearings replaced, so he can rebuild it. I was lucky it came apart in the barn he said, instead of imploding on the trail. Hopefully will get pictures of the damage this weekend when I visit the shop. BTW, does anyone know of a Technical Service Bulletin for the steering rack? I haven't received any mail of that nature yet w/ this machine. Thank you.
    Bill T
    2014 Green & Yellow 825i w/ Power steering , Sport seats, poly cab & doors, front / rear CV guards & Terra 45 Superwinch along w/ Rigid Industries D2 driving lights on brush guard & SRQ2 diffused lights

Thanks
    Can't believe it's been just over 3 weeks since this came apart. Got the steering rack rebuilt & installed earlier this week. The Mechanic, aka my brother test drove it & said it's fine. Took it out myself yesterday for an hour & you know what, he was right, go figure. My toy is up running again! Sorry, the mechanic forgot to take pics, now what else can I buy for this?
    Bill T

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillT View Post
    My mechanic called & has taken a look & said it needs the bearings replaced, so he can rebuild it. I was lucky it came apart in the barn he said, instead of imploding on the trail. Hopefully will get pictures of the damage this weekend when I visit the shop. BTW, does anyone know of a Technical Service Bulletin for the steering rack? I haven't received any mail of that nature yet w/ this machine. Thank you.
    Does JD send TSB's to the consumer or to the dealers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    bradhill, not entirely sure myself, I'd say the dealers get them, but as long as you're the registered owner, you should get notices.
    1. When I had a 2012 Gator, I received a new emissions sticker directly from JD via the USPS & a letter saying 'remove the old emissions sticker & replace it with this.'
    2. When I had a Commander, Can Am sent me a letter saying go to your dealer w/ this letter & get a spark arrestor / fire prevention kit, installed free of charge, for the 2012 model.
    3. My car manufacturer has sent me numerous Voluntary Recall Notices, the last 1 is to have a free undercoating done for cars from 2010-2013. Speaking of which, I have to call them about this.

Also you might check out the Consumer Product Safety Commissions webpage at CPSC.gov & type in whichever product you have. A search for John Deere Gator usually brings up all Gators, riding mowers & the like.
    Bill T

Thanks
    hi bill I also have a 2014 825i but haven't received any recall are they just going on serial numbers or are all of that year giving problems

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by campoman View Post
    hi bill I also have a 2014 825i but haven't received any recall are they just going on serial numbers or are all of that year giving problems

Hi campoman, here you'll find more informations

Beste Grüße aussem Chatten-Club, Wolle