Thread: Engine Break

Thanks

Engine Break

I have a 850i trail I am going to sell and the person wanted to know if coming off a mountain did you have to give it gas to make it hold back or was it like a Honda where the engine held it back. I have never had it on a mountain and couldn't answer his question. I would appreciate any help if anyone knows.

Thanks
    What year is your Gator?

Newer builds I think starting in 2015 have engine braking. Otherwise must give some throttle to engage primary clutch.
    2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, Front and Rear 4" square 27 watt LED lights, Bad Lands 2500lb Winch installed in bed, Front and Rear CV Guards

Thanks
    I bought it in 2014 but I don't think they made any 850i after 2012 or 2013 then the made the 860 in 2016

Thanks
    Looking at the parts diagrams available on JDPARTS.com, it looks like the clutch and primary are the type that provide engine braking when descending hills. There are no part number changes based on serial numbers, so one would assume the design has remained constant through the model run.

Hopefully someone with a similar machine will confirm it provides engine braking.

Wish I could be 100% positive, but this is the best info I can provide.
    2012 JD855D OPS Black Poly Roof, Deluxe Cargo Box, Front and Rear Protection, Power Lift, Front Hood Rack, Rear Screen (homemade), 800 Watt Inverter, Front and Rear 4" square 27 watt LED lights, Bad Lands 2500lb Winch installed in bed, Front and Rear CV Guards

Thanks
    Thanks