Thread: 3 clicks and no-go when pressing the throttle pedal

Thanks

3 clicks and no-go when pressing the throttle pedal

Our eGator (#2) started acting up last Fall - when pressing the throttle after stopping, there are 3 clicks and then nothing. If I press the pedal a few more times, the same thing happens and then eventually it might move on one of the next presses.

The Curtis 1264-5403 controller flashes the 5,3 diagnostic code. According to the Deere technical manual (TM1766), this is indicates that the Motor Relay contacts Did Not Close. I found the K1 Motor Relay online and replaced it, but still get the same 3-click behavior. There is a Motor Relay Test procedure (page 6-73) in the manual and I wonder if the 3-clicks is part of a retry procedure from the Motor Controller logic if the first application of power to the relay coil does not result in Battery voltage switching through to the controller?

I had a little time over the holiday to look into the e-Gator some more (other house projects have had priority). I did fix another issue - the B+ connection and charging connection to the positive battery terminal on the first/lead battery had corroded and cracked.. I repaired that and also made sure that the battery water levels were topped off (none of the cells were dry when I checked, either).

So, I have 2 odd behaviors now: the first is that the charger does not seem to turn off when connected, and then there is still the 3-clicks-but-no-go issue. I left the charger connected overnight and it said it was charging with about 9-10amps. It seemed about the same in the morning, maybe a little less. Across all eight batteries the packs measured 51.2V (and they had been at 48.7), so they did take some charge overnight.

Just wondering if there is any BTDT experience that has also seen this "3-clicks, no-go" behavior? Replacing the batteries is one thought I have (in case there is one that is bad but doesn't show it until it is put under load), but I don't want to plunge into that until I'm sure there is nothing else wrong causing the 3-clicks behavior.

There are about 2000 hours on this machine from MY2000. We've enjoyed it while it was running, and I still have eGator #1 which is awaiting new batteries, tires and seats before going back on the road/lawn.

Thanks
    I stepped through the diagnostic procedures over the weekend, and on step 11 of the Forward & Throttle Circuit Diagnosis procedure, I found my error (this is from the FSM, page 6-48): with the throttle pressed (rear wheels in the air), I did not get a voltage reading when the relay clicked. So, this leads to a conclusion of an issue in the motor controller and to replace the motor controller. Fortunately, I had eGator1 sitting there with another controller, so I swapped it in and everything worked fine. I drove about 6 miles with it yesterday before bringing it in for a charge overnight.

Now to get the motor controller repaired...
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. The Following User Says Thank You to khnitz For This Useful Post:

bradhill (07-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thank for the follow up!