Thread: 4x4 shaft coupling

Thanks

4x4 shaft coupling

I had a few Gator’s sent to me with the 4x4 shaft coupling completely rusted all over. I finally got a new XUV590E from the factory. The coupling appears to be stainless steel but it is not. The coupling rusts very easily. To illustrate the issue, mine has never been through water and is garage kept and still the coupling rusts. My solution was to use a lot of Navel Jelly and lightly sand the coupling to remove all the rust. Then I painted (2 times) with Rust-Oleum Black Pro High Performance Enamel.

I know all JD XUV Two Seaters have this issue and I imagine all Gator’s have this same issue. I fully blame the stupidy of the JD Engineers! This is only one of the stupidly engineered things on at least the small Gator’s.

Sorry I didn’t take a good rust before picture (covered in Navel Jelly). Worked extremely well after paint! Should not ever rust and the paint causes zero issues with the front driveshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Oh; I forgot, very important to get toughest out of final paint job is to lightly sand in between coats of paint, once dry. That is, if anyone wants to do the same as I have done referring to the coupling or anything else. I am also painting my winch hook the same. The paint I mentioned is extremely tough! To illustration the toughness of the paint, several years ago (close to 10, I think), I painted my workbench vice with this paint. Zero rust (note: in garage with vast humidity and temperature changes). I also have banged on it many times in the past, again zero issues. I am just conveying to anyone how to get the most out of the paint and how tough it actually cures.

Thanks
    Great work!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bradhill For This Useful Post:

bama21fs (12-16-2019)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bama21fs View Post
    I had a few Gator’s sent to me with the 4x4 shaft coupling completely rusted all over. I finally got a new XUV590E from the factory. The coupling appears to be stainless steel but it is not. The coupling rusts very easily. To illustrate the issue, mine has never been through water and is garage kept and still the coupling rusts. My solution was to use a lot of Navel Jelly and lightly sand the coupling to remove all the rust. Then I painted (2 times) with Rust-Oleum Black Pro High Performance Enamel.

I know all JD XUV Two Seaters have this issue and I imagine all Gator’s have this same issue. I fully blame the stupidy of the JD Engineers! This is only one of the stupidly engineered things on at least the small Gator’s.

Sorry I didn’t take a good rust before picture (covered in Navel Jelly). Worked extremely well after paint! Should not ever rust and the paint causes zero issues with the front driveshaft.

UPDATE: the paint coating I put on the 4x4 coupling has worked flawlessly but unfortunately; got a bit more painting, I discovered rust further down the coupling on the unpainted part. Hopefully; this painting will stop future rust at this point. I
    think it will but on the other hand, I thought this last time. I am hoping I do this addition will be the final fix. I really don’t want to chase rust.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bama21fs For This Useful Post:

bradhill (03-21-2020)