Thread: Briggs & Stratton?

Thanks

Briggs & Stratton?

I have been researching the Gators for a few days, and thought I had decided on a base model XUV550. Since the other model Gator I looked at had a Kawasaki, I assumed that this one did also. The brochure does not give an engine brand, but I read a thread here that indicated a Briggs & Stratton.

Does the XUV 550 base model have a Briggs & Stratton or is it another model? I had a Cub Cadet mower a few years ago with a V Twin, OHV B&S and it was a total night mare.

Thanks for your help and sharing any experience with one of these units.

Thanks,
    Doc

Thanks
    The XUV 550 has a 570cc Briggs & Stratton Vanguard engine. Here is the Briggs website for it. Surprisingly I think the engine is made in Japan by Mitsubishi.

The next model up, the 625, advertises a 23hp liquid cooled Kawasaki though I have never seen nor heard of one actually existing. There are tons of 825's, some 855 diesels and 550's (what I have) but I have never seen or known of a 625 outside the brochure. I think the 625 was previously the base model, very similar to the 825 but with a smaller engine. In 2012 the XUV's got a makeover and the 550 became the new base model. I assume they keep the 625 on the webpage because there are still some unsold units floating around. The difference between the two styles is really noticeable in the ROPS. The front bar on earlier XUV's comes down in the middle of the hood, meaning you can't open it with a windshield in the way. The newer 550 and RSX have the front bar come down behind the hood. I think primarily so a windshield can be fitted without blocking access to the hood.

What trouble did you have with the engine on your Cub Cadet?
    Last edited by Dane; 10-15-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added 625 info

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    The XUV 550 has a 570cc Briggs & Stratton Vanguard engine. Here is the Briggs website for it. Surprisingly I think the engine is made in Japan by Mitsubishi.

The next model up, the 625, advertises a 23hp liquid cooled Kawasaki though I have never seen nor heard of one actually existing. There are tons of 825's, some 855 diesels and 550's (what I have) but I have never seen or known of a 625 outside the brochure. I think the 625 was previously the base model, very similar to the 825 but with a smaller engine. In 2012 the XUV's got a makeover and the 550 became the new base model. I assume they keep the 625 on the webpage because there are still some unsold units floating around. The difference between the two styles is really noticeable in the ROPS. The front bar on earlier XUV's comes down in the middle of the hood, meaning you can't open it with a windshield in the way. The newer 550 and RSX have the front bar come down behind the hood. I think primarily so a windshield can be fitted without blocking access to the hood.

What trouble did you have with the engine on your Cub Cadet?

Thanks for the information Dane!

The B&S on my Cub Cadet was a 23HP, I think vertical shaft. It started blowing oil right away. I took it back to them a few times and they kept insisting that a breather was getting plugged up. That engine was NOT called a Vanguard and at the time the Vanguard series had a good reputation, but Vanguard is nothing but a name. I expect that the one in the 550 is probably a well made unit, but I ended up buying an XUV 825i today. I will post the entire story in the appropriate XUV subforum, which might be this one.

Thanks for responding to my noobie posts Dane!

Doc

Thanks
    Congratulations on the new 825. I'm off to find your post in that section. I hope there are pictures.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Congratulations on the new 825. I'm off to find your post in that section. I hope there are pictures.

Ooops! Did I start the thread in the wrong forum? It looked as if this was the correct one. Thanks for keeping me straight if I got it in the wrong place Dane.