Thread: Advice for broken healight

Thanks

Advice for broken healight

I broke my headlight on my 2011 825i. The tire pulled on the wire and broke out the bulb throught the backside of the headlight. So, I went to JD and they want $45 for a new headlight housing.

I am wanting to replace the lights with HID or any other recommended option. Do you know if I need to buy this replacement housing or will new aftermarket lights come with a new housing? I don't want to buy this headlight housing from JD if a replacement LED or other ligtht comes with its own housing. I hope this makes sense.

Thank you,
    2011 825i, Camo, Sport seats, Big Horn Tires, black rims, Poly No-Scratch windshield, OPS poly roof, Kolpin rear windshield, JD toolbox, Kolpin Double Rifle mount, Fender guards, front brush guard and rack, tail light covers, rear bumper, Warn XT40 winch, CV joint guards, RotoPax Fuel and water cans.

Thanks
    I'm interested to hear responses as well. I've had the same issue. Running in a rice field to our pit has torn one of my lights out also. It has since filled with mud too. So I drilled a very small hole to allow it to drain.
    2013 825i S4

Thanks
    This seems to be a common problem....as I have seen other posts regarding this. It seems when the suspension is compressed the aggressive tread "grabs" the wiring harness from the headlight and pulls it out of the back of the housing. Hopefully someone can answer the question on a replacement.
    2011 825i, Camo, Sport seats, Big Horn Tires, black rims, Poly No-Scratch windshield, OPS poly roof, Kolpin rear windshield, JD toolbox, Kolpin Double Rifle mount, Fender guards, front brush guard and rack, tail light covers, rear bumper, Warn XT40 winch, CV joint guards, RotoPax Fuel and water cans.

Thanks
    Typically they retrofit into the stock lense. I'd be surprised if anyone makes aftermarket headlights. You'll see that on popular autos but not enough demand on the niche vehicles. Hey, least it's cheaper than an HPX lense!

Thanks
    I actually started looking for some aftermarket round LED fog lights that may fit. I haven't come up with any that I thought were close enough to order and try out though.

Thanks
    So I finally pulled the headlight buckets out of my 825i and cleaned them inside and out. I measured the buckets to be 4.35" outside at the widest point. So finding some other round light shouldn't be hard. Mounting them in the existing holes may be a challenge though.

I had previously researched a good bit on the bulb numbers I found on the other gator forum that should all work in the factory buckets. Those are 881, 862, 886, 894, 896, 898. Autozone actually listed the lumens for each bulb, so I went with the 886 Sylvania for 1257 lumens.
    Sylvania/Fog Light Mini Bulb 886 at AutoZone.com

These bulbs were much higher rated than the others.
    881 - 565L
    862 - not on autozone that I could find
    894 - 942L
    896 - 942L
    898 - 754L

I took the gator out last night, and I am much happier than with the previous bulbs. They are not great, but significantly better.

Thanks
    I ordered a replacement headlight from my JD dealer. It just arrived and is totally different than the OEM one, and WON'T fit. It is a HELLA brand light with 4 mounting screws and appears to be 3" in diameter. The stock JD light has 3 mounting screw and is around 4" in diameter. Plus the wiring plugs are different. So, I need to call the dealer tomorrow and figure this one out.

Thanks
    This should be the part number for the headlamp - AM144798

The Hella is normally the SPOTLIGHT Kit

Type in 825i in the following site

https://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt