PDA

View Full Version : Electric Cooling Fan

HCollado
01-19-2011, 04:54 PM
New to the site, a lot of good information here.

Just recently bought an '04 HPX w/800 hrs. Engine runs rough but I think (hope) all it needs is a good tune-up which I hope to do this weekend.

The electric fan runs constantly from the minute you turn the ignition swith. Is this the way it supposed to work?
My experience with other electric cooling fans is that they only come on when the engine reaches a certain temp.
Thanks for any feedback

bigknobbies
01-21-2011, 03:01 PM
My cooling fan almost never turns on. I would start with the thermostat and work back from there.

dieselsmith
01-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Somebody probably wired it direct to a key hot.

2005HPX
01-22-2011, 11:04 AM
I bought my HPX back in the fall of 09 used. Fan never kicked on. Then last summer, one day all the sudden heard this strange sound. :hsu: Wondered what the heck, then oh yea, its the fan. IT WORKS!! :jm: Only ran for a minute then shut off. I think all last year it kicked on maybe 10 times?

If it runs all the time, something is wrong.

gatorxuv620i
02-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Sounds like a bad tempurature sender. If its bad it could be telling the fan to come on and the engine will probably go into limp mode which might explain the rough running... just thinking out loud here. How does your choke seem to work. When its idling pull the choke to full position and engine should start to really struggle or even die. If nothing happens then your choke is probably not adjusted or the cable is broke. Other than that it could be like you said as simple as a tune up. Hope this helps and good luck!

HCollado
03-03-2011, 12:29 AM
Thanks,

Gave it a tune up and now starts and runs much better. I may adjust the valves while I am at it.

I think the temp sending unit has gone bad and it's why the fan runs continuously. JD want $65 for that sensor :lol:, so that's not getting replace. Went ahead and switched it.

BackwoodsGator
04-14-2011, 12:59 AM
Mine had a bad temp sensor. Actually what happened was a stick worked its way up and broke the wiring connector and terminals on the sensor.