PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Gator

GATOR4HUNTING
04-15-2011, 09:38 AM
I had a JD rep stop by work this week and we had a nice conversation about the 825i. He said some changes are coming for 2012 including a new sport model Gator to compete with the Ranger XP and other models similar the the Gator design and function. He said JD was keeping details quiet for now but they felt confident that it would be a big winner and he seemed pretty excited about what was to come. What if anything do you feel could be improved on the 825i. He asked me and being that I don't own one yet I couldn't say but I would get back to him if I heard anything from you guy's. He also said the after market companies would be coming out with some nice mods in the near future. Something to look forward too.

purplewg
04-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Of course all these will drive the cost of the unit up and I am not sure I would pay much more for a UTV than I id for my Gator.

1. It needs power or assisted steering.
2. It needs power or assisted brakes.
3. It needs an adjustable steering wheel. Tilt would be great but need more than a fixed position.
4. The holes in the floor boards would need to be plugged and fill the dang hole where the floor board meets the firewall on both sides. I can see water coming
right up through those holes and into the drivers/passengers faces.
5. Put a cover on the glove box.
6. Make the passengers seat adjustable like the drivers.
7. At least a 7 gallon fuel tank.

I'm sure I will come up with some more ideas.

Deputy347k9
04-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Purplewg youare the man, nearly every thing I could think of you have thought of! I really like the idea of a cover for the glove box and larger fuel tank. I would like to see all the machines come with park/brake/turn signals instead of being an extra cost item. Considering the cost of these machines as well as the ability to do 44 mph I would think this small safety issues could be added much less then buying expensive kits.

dieselsmith
04-16-2011, 02:55 PM
Don't forget about more foot room!

roughinmill
04-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Anyone know the release date of the 2012 edition?

purplewg
04-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Ok, having spent a bit more time with my lovely I have more wants.

A key that doesn't fit every dang Gator/Zero Turn out there.
A bed that don't squeak every time I hit a small bump.
Go ahead and run power up the center cross over roll bar. You know we will want to put lights, radio, CB, or something up there.
Brake lights should be standard.

Chilliwack Jack
07-19-2011, 08:13 AM
I'm just about to buy a 2011 Gator, and having read this forum, think I'll wait till a 2012... Hopefully John will read it too, and get some new ideas !!!

trainman
07-19-2011, 10:23 AM
I think if you own a 2011 Gator you are most likely looking at the 2012 Gator. The tooling and die cost to build a new designed Gator by John Deere was probably more then you care to know. I owne a 2003 Kawasaki KLR 650, which first came out in 1987 and they finally changed it in 2008, that's 20 years of manufacturing the same bike with everyone asking for improvements that were never done. Finally in 2008 they changed the bike with new plastic and few other minor improvements over the previous model, but really only addressed one thing that people wanted and that was better braking. The 2008 model had several other problems that the 1987-2007 models never had, moral of the story is, stick with what you got today, sometimes new improved is not all that great.

John