PDA

View Full Version : Undercoating

purplewg
04-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Anyone considered this? When I started to re-do the Rust Bucket (see TS section) I did a good look-see as to what was going on. I noticed the really bad sections were where two pieces of sheet metal over lapped each other and between the welds. If you look under them you will see sections tack welded with spaces in between the tack welds were there is two pieces of sheet metal over lapping each other. Water/dirt/salt will sneak its way into these seams and eventually this is where the rust will start to form. At least that is what appeared to have happened on the Rust Bucket. The welded areas were fine but between them where there was overlap is where the majority of rust was.

I just bought two cans of Rubberized undercoating and plan to get under it and make sure I seal these seams up so water cannot collect and set in there. For $6-$8 a can I think it might be worth a shot at preventing some rust.

Deputy347k9
04-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Can't hurt that is for sure!

WOEII
04-20-2011, 07:21 PM
That's a great idea. I been thinking about getting a couple of cans for my new truck. Ziebart missed a couple of spots I would like to get touched up. Also wanted to use it on unreachable spots on the XUV and not have to worry about rust starting.

Does pepboys sell it? Debating on the honey spray or black. :lurk:

purplewg
04-21-2011, 08:30 AM
I used the rubberized stuff. It does a good job and hardens so when I touch it a year later it don't come off in my hand. I ran the Gator up on the some ramps last night and got under it on the creeper. I only did the floor boards. Upon more inspection I didn't want to risk spraying the stuff where it should not go. Also there were other areas that I could have done but it appears they are pretty easy to get to, to clean. The older Gators were a stamped steel frame so there were many more areas for mud and moisture to set up. One can will do the undersides of the floor boards really well. I also plugged the holes in the floor boards where the firewall, floorboards, and fender meets. I Goop'd it and then sprayed the undercoating over that.

825joe
04-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Mar hyde makes an excellent under coating. It is in my opinion one of the best spray can undercoating out there. Don't for get there is POR 15 also if your looking to stop the rust from eating the metal.

purplewg
04-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Mar hyde makes an excellent under coating. It is in my opinion one of the best spray can undercoating out there. Don't for get there is POR 15 also if your looking to stop the rust from eating the metal.

I have used Mar Hyde before and it is a very good product. Now all we have around is the quickie auto parts chain stores carrying whatever brands are cheapest that month. I have also used POR 15 on a steel horse trailer. They have an excellent epoxy product also that I used to fill the rust on the roof of that thing and it still hasn't come apart after hauling cows in it and 5 years.