PDA

View Full Version : Assessing the gator

trackerkelpie
05-09-2011, 06:39 AM
Hi guys,
I am assessing the gator to see if it is the vehicle for mustering cattle in steep country and spraying, fencing etc. I am nervous about its engine braking capabilities as angel gear coming down a steep gully is not a good feeling. Any one know if there is a mod to allow decent engine braking with the team industries clutch on the gator?

WOEII
05-09-2011, 08:04 AM
trackerkelpie,

Welcome to the forum! :Chers: :cool:
Many people are intimidated by the free wheeling the Gator gets at low to idle RPM's. It takes a little practice but either in Low or High as long as you keep the RPM's bubbled up some the clutch stays engaged without adding speed. She acts just like a jake brake and once you get it down pat you would not even know any different.

Your other comments just seem like normal farming. :Chers:

trackerkelpie
05-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the welcome WOEII,
I have the dealer bringing out a demo unit tomorrow so will get a better idea about its capabilities then. Given the "On-demand true four-wheel drive" design would that engine braking only be working on the rear end?
Cheers

gatorxuv620i
05-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Hello, the engine braking works off of the rear tires if the 4wd switch is on but all four tires if the switch and lever is engaged. I've learned to keep one foot on the gas (just enough to keep it from free wheeling... basically keep bumping the gas and one foot on the brake.) The brakes have to be broke in in my opinion because when we bought our XUV new the brakes where super stiff but after about 10 hrs of use up and down grades they got to where you touch them and your stopping.

trackerkelpie
05-10-2011, 04:43 AM
Thanks gatorX620i,
Given that the 4X4 only engages when necessary when the 4wd drive switch is on, ie rear wheel slip, how effective is the engine braking to the front wheels?