PDA

View Full Version : Needing info on Gator

mossyoak
06-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Hello all. New here. Need some fact based opinions. We bought a Ranger new a couple of months ago and we hate it. Main reason is you cannot stand to ride it because of the overwhelming heat coming from the engine and the radiator fan. Is this an issue with the new 825i Gators? I noticed the engine is under the bed instead of under the seat like on the Rangers. What can you tell me about the latest 825i. I know the first ones had some kinks. Have they gotten the bugs fixed and has anyone been able to compare the ride of the Gator to the Polaris 800?

msutherlund
06-05-2011, 03:21 AM
I can feel some heat but not terrible heat. I love the Gator and wouldn't trade it for a second with a Polaris. I looked them both over pretty good and the Motor seemed bigger and tougher and the whole machine is more solid which explains the extra weight which I'll happily take. It rides great. I couldn't believe how smooth it is over bumps at speed. I ride full boar at 45 over bumps that I would take at 15 in my father in laws lifted golf cart. It is a great machine.

mossyoak
06-05-2011, 08:43 AM
Thanks for your reply. The Polaris are simply too hot to stay on. This really upsets me because I liked it at first. But on the Polaris the drive shaft clinks and clanks a lot when you slow or accelerate really fast. Do you think the heat isn't such an issue because of the engine location?? Anything anyone can tell me will help a lot. Thanks

ncbowhnter
06-05-2011, 09:36 AM
This is one of the main reasons that I will probably go with the gator over the ranger. I don't have either, but have heard that just about every owner with a 2011 ranger has heat issues. Most have said that a tps adjustment fixes the problem for the most part but there is still a good bit of heat to deal with. drive shaft clinks and clanks are normal for a polaris, same thing with both polaris atvs that I owned.
You could always check out www.prcforum.com for ranger info. It is loaded down with info about rangers. hope this helps.

trainman
06-05-2011, 12:15 PM
I had the same heat experience with the Kawasaki Teryx which I was going to buy until I test drove the 825i Gator, plus the Teryx was very noisy I thought.

John

mossyoak
06-05-2011, 06:47 PM
ncbowhunter:

We own the 11Polaris and we are disgusted... The Tps might help a little but the problem is still there. The main problem is that the radiator fan blows all the air towards the cab and then it "leaks" thru various places such as the steering column and under dash and the worst is around the gas pedal. I can't wear flip flops and drive it. It will scald my feet and that is the gospel truth. We drove a 825i today and rode it in low to get the fan to come on. My friend, the only only only place air came in was in the little rubber opening where the steering column comes thru. All you would have to do is put a rag in it. Got off the unit and looked and guess what? All the hot air was being deflected straight out of the machine from the wheels. The air was deflecting off the dash and out the unit completely. Complete selling point. Also, here's something else I will tell you-- Engine is a 3 cyl and it purred like a car. Ranger has a 2 cyl and it pings and knocks. Also, engine on Polaris is under the seat which makes it crazy loud, heat comes out from under the seat and you hear all sorts of vibration due to the 2 cyl setup. Hope this helps. Please, don't buy a Ranger! lol... You will burn up! And one more thing... I called Polaris themselves and they wouldn't help, told me to call dealer. Called my dealer and they told me if I didn't like it to sell it. How's that for service?

ncbowhnter
06-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Well I guess the only good thing about most of these utvs is that they hold their resale value fairly well so you shouldn't lose too much when you sell it and get your gator. Thanks for the input so now I won't have to go through the same thing that you went through. I'll just go straight for the gator. hope you get your mess straightened out soon. good luck.

Deepwoods
06-05-2011, 10:18 PM
I got my 825i delivered friday, have put several hours on it already. I love it, yes there is heat , but not a problem, most of it goes out around the rear wheels, what does come into the cab is not hot enough to be uncomfortable (It will feel darn good when I put doors on it this winter). I bought the Gator after taking many test drives on other makes. Yes it is expensive, but as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for".

825joe
06-07-2011, 10:11 AM
My buddy has a ranger 700. He uses it for farm work and he doesn't like the engagement of the cvt either. It jerks a lot. Its a decent machine but compared to the 825i, its not up to par.

purplewg
06-07-2011, 01:24 PM
I looked at the Ranger and Rhino. Neighbor has the Ranger and I can hear him coming a mile away. When he leaves it sounds like there is a bunch of stuff about to fall out of it. I really liked the Rhino but discovered the axles are weak and fail due to hard off-roading or carrying stuff. The new Rhino's didn't come in camo so I wrote them off.

As for heat. Well it is almost always 90-100 here in the summer so I probably wouldn't notice. (No cab)