PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors + Windshield + Top

roughinmill
06-10-2011, 03:23 PM
I have a no-scrach windshield and a hard top with radio, :BG: I need a mirror to see behind me. :Wlys: I like the Nice Mirror, Frugal Price thread :Thmup: but would prefer a larger viewing area, all i've seen have the quick clamp system will that work with a windshield and top? My windshield has a seal and follows the ROPs bar all the way up. :Thmup: I don't want to mess that up, anyone else had this problem? :hsu: I found this one on e-bay but notice they have brackets for a windshield but the windshield is not on. :cuss: Is there a reason? :hsu:

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb375/roughinmill/ea3b_12.jpg

825joe
06-11-2011, 08:09 AM
if the clamp is like the one shown the seal should just comform around it. I don't see it being a problem.

trainman
06-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Looks like is should work, but it's one of those things that without the mirror and bracket in your hand it's hard to tell if it will work or not. I just put the Gator Soft Top on my Gator and would like a mirror that would mount to the front top X-rail of the roll bar system. that is, mounted just like a RV mirror is in your car would be. Looks like it would work, but is the arm on the mirror long enough so I can see out the back, will the rear of the top be in the line of site and block my view. Has anyone done this?

purplewg
06-13-2011, 07:20 AM
I just bought this mirror off ebay but I don't have a windshield yet. Too hot down here for a windshield. I will be making one this winter though. lol

Deputy347k9
06-13-2011, 08:07 AM
I finally received my windshield on June 7th! That day was my birthday so I considered it a wonderful gift. Took me about 45 minutes to install. Was installed in about 15 minutes but I had to keep playing around until it was just about perfect. During the week of the 7th it was extremely hot in Maine, however with the lower portion open it allowed ample flowing air that you would not notice the heat so bad. This past week has been solid rain and I am here to tell you that I am so happy to have the windshield installed! My local dealer did not give me any type of break, none what so ever, not even .01%! I am not going to shop around for the extras that I want. I really don't like doing that and I fully understand the dealership has to make a profit but we all know there is a healthy markup in the cost of these added items. A .10% discount is not that much when a dealer has a customer who has spent many many thousands of dollars at thier business. Other then routine fluid changes all my maintenance is performed by the dealership. I have been a very loyal customer for two decades and maybe I am wrong but I believe a small discount is deserved? I have on order with them one small part for $85.00 and that will be the last. I still want several thousand dollars with of goodies but I will look around.

Steve_in_SEMich
06-13-2011, 09:02 AM
I bought the mirror that is shown in the 1st post, and like 825Joe indicates, the windshield seal does just form around the relatively thin mount. The problem with that mirror is that it doesn't have enough adjustability to give the optimum angle of view and it vibrates a lot. I took it off and instead use a convex mirror, approx. 5"x3" mounted to an angled wooden block mounted to the upper frame of the glass windshield. It's just left of center, vibrates very little, and I used double-sided tape/velcro to attach the mirror to the wooden block and then to the window frame.

It's my first prototype, could be a little bigger, but works well.