PDA

View Full Version : 2011 John Deere Gator 625i EFI Backfireing

pjmia96
06-27-2011, 06:47 PM
I have a 2011 John Deere Gator 625i Gas 4x4 EFI. Whenever I Drive in Low, or High Gear, or Reverse, It Backfires Loudly every few seconds. When I let it coast down a hill on its own in Low/High Gear, it sound like someone is standing on the back fireing a Machine Gun. However It DOES NOT backfire when you Shut it off. P.S it also Backfires when Decreaseing Speed.

What could be causeing this?

How can I fix it?

Would a little Seafoam in the Gas Help?

Thanks,

Matt

greenmachine
06-27-2011, 07:52 PM
drain all ya gas out and put fresh gas in. i work for jd. i say it has a fuel related problem. how long the gas ben in the gator ?

pjmia96
06-27-2011, 08:32 PM
Would Seafoam Help?

We just refil the tank like normal whenever it gets low.

Also, What kind of gas should I be putting in the Gator?

purplewg
06-27-2011, 08:58 PM
My guess is just that a guess based on past experience with similar engines. I would WD40 all the electrical parts you can find. Water will cause shorts and or high resistance connections. The ignition module would be where I would start with a full can of WD40 on the main connector. You can also check for cracks in the sealant of the unit that might let moisture in. Carb could be at fault but typically miss firing or back firing is caused by something in the timing getting hosed up. That is my opinion and we all know how opinions are. lol

pjmia96
06-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Do Electronically Fuel Injected Gators have a Carburetor?

purplewg
06-28-2011, 07:09 AM
Do Electronically Fuel Injected Gators have a Carburetor?

lol, what I should have said was" fuel could be at fault but typically miss firing or back firing is caused by something in the timing getting hosed up."
Very observant pjmia96.:Thmup:

trainman
06-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Everything I own that is used on a as need basis, or recreational fun, gets premium fuel, Sta-Bil, and Sea-Foam.

John

purplewg
06-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Everything I own that is used on a as need basis, or recreational fun, gets premium fuel, Sta-Bil, and Sea-Foam.

John

Great plan John. I buy off road diesel for my tractors. I put twice as much Power Service in each barrel as it says it will treat. Cost me a bit more but I save money by not having to stop and fix plugged fuel systems.

pjmia96
06-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Its not the fuel. Ran it out of gas with the Gas to the Floor, Refiled it, it actually doesnt backfire too bad in low gear. Im going to get it fixed soon along with front end problems while its still under waranty. Its not backfireing too bad but I need to get timing fixed. I dont notice when it backfires because I just cant seem to keep it under 90.LOL.

Question, Can you mix sea foam and stabil and gas all in one tank?

Dont be like Me, Keep it under 90,

Matt

825joe
06-29-2011, 06:11 AM
90?? lol

purplewg
06-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Question, Can you mix sea foam and stabil and gas all in one tank?

Matt

You certainly can. They all do something different. Sort of like buying high priced Shell fuel with all the additives they put in some of their stuff.

pjmia96
06-29-2011, 10:07 AM
Keeping it under 90 is just an expression haha.

By the way is there a certin kind of stabil for gators?

and do you guys have any idea how to adjust timing myself, and where is it located?

Also, what i have noticed when i put my hand over the hole of the exaust pipe it should stall the engine but it doesnt, does that mean theres a hole somewhere?

Thank you Guys for all your help, You Guys are Great.

Matt

Savaged
07-02-2011, 01:20 AM
My 625i is in the shop right now with issues somewhat similar to yours. With 20 hours on the meter when started cold it will not idle. When restarted a few times it will begin to warm up and will idle but sputters and backfires. IT also blows puffs of blue exhaust. When it gets hot it seems to run OK, but the problem seemed to be getting worse. Not happy at all with this issue.

pjmia96
07-04-2011, 02:24 PM
I know what you mean. My Gator doesnt usually have idling problems but ever since it started backfireing there will be tomes when I let go of the Gas and it will idle soooo low like it wants to shut off and it stops at that point and wont go any further to the point of shutting off. I dont have the blue smoke though. When we first bought it the gears wre messed up Hi Gear was low gear, no low gear, reverse was neutral....it was all screwed up. and now im putuing it back in the shop. Gators have their fair share of problems. Maybe next time I will see what arctic cat side by sides there are.

Matt

pjmia96
07-04-2011, 02:26 PM
My 625i is in the shop right now with issues somewhat similar to yours. With 20 hours on the meter when started cold it will not idle. When restarted a few times it will begin to warm up and will idle but sputters and backfires. IT also blows puffs of blue exhaust. When it gets hot it seems to run OK, but the problem seemed to be getting worse. Not happy at all with this issue.

So is my gator it seems to get worse by day.