PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change Issue

jetstreambluebill
07-22-2011, 03:23 PM
For those of you willing to tackle the 8 hour oil change on your own, be so advised that Chery (engine manufacturer) has this gorilla working for them that installs the oil filter. After I realized that the three different oil filter wrenches I own would not fit the filter, I lowered myself to the screwdriver and hammer method. After running the screwdrivewr through the filter, I was able to turn it a 1/4 turn before running out of room. Of course by then the filter is hand loose, right???? wrong.....I had to drive it through again and turn it another 1/4 turn before it would allow for hand removal. Gheese, why so freakin tight???? Oh well, the change is complete and the gator is running fine, other than a small oil leak that was there prior to the oil chnage that the dealer is working on this week to fix. Looks like it is leaking at the output below the front driveshaft exit on the passenger side of the unit. Anyone else have this leak???

jonny2guns4u
07-22-2011, 10:30 PM
I ran into the same exact issue. Ended up using the screwdriver and hammer. After that I stopped by the local JD Dealership and got the filter cup made for the thing. I sure hope the change at 50 hrs. is much easier.

825joe
07-23-2011, 10:01 AM
same here lol

BarnDoor
07-24-2011, 11:02 PM
8 hours? Lol!

Steve_in_SEMich
07-25-2011, 08:03 AM
I also found the factory filter super-glued in place. I had prepared for this as my previous unit, Gator TX, had the same issue. I bought the filter wrench cup. Great idea, but the factory filter wasn't the same wrench size as the replacement. I ended up attaching velcro to the filter and the mating strip to a rubber strap wrench. Not 8 hours, but every bit of 3 hours.

Maybe it vibrated tighter during shipping? Thanks for sharing.

purplewg
07-25-2011, 10:10 AM
I just used the same metal strap wrench I use on the Harley. No problem other than I could only move the filter 1/100th of a turn till I got it to where I could turn with my hand.

LeonardS
07-25-2011, 03:43 PM
I use a belt type strap wrench and that worked fine. That is what I always used back in the day on the oil filters for a 4430, 4640, 7520, 8430, etc. Works great!

Leonard

pcbunn
07-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Anyone had the dealer do the first service to avoid the hassel with the oil filter and if so how much did the dealer charge. I'm able to do the work but boy do I get fried when either over tighten or under tighten stuff. I figured just the oil change and grease couldn't be too much and maybe worth it the first time?

apple
11-25-2011, 11:26 AM
I agree; just changed the oil at 8 hours, getting the filter off was a bear. I had bought a filter cup from jd but it wouldn't budge the filter, just spin. I had some adjustable band type filter wrenches. I found one small enough to do the job; but dang that filter way way tight

John Deere Nick
11-26-2011, 08:56 AM
I haven't gotten this far on mine yet to do the first service. Guess I will go and get a small band filter wrench. Seems to be the way to go none the less.

pcbunn
11-26-2011, 10:54 AM
My filter wasn't as tight as others have reported, I didn't have any trouble getting it off, but I did use the filter wrench supplied by JD.

kingwood1
11-28-2011, 08:40 PM
has anyone tried a grip filter wrench works with a 3/8 ratchet ive never had a filter beat it yet just wondering

apple
11-29-2011, 02:15 AM
I ordered the download tech manual that was listed on e bay. I got the link from this site. Its worth the money, I think it was $9.95. I downloaded and printed it off, punched holes in papers and put it in a binder. Just a note its long; I think over 300 pages better have plenty of paper and ink if planning on printing off manual. The tech manual states oil change with filter appx. 2.3 qt. I called 2 local dealerships and asked about oil capacity of 825i and got 2 different answers. One said just a little under 2 quarts, another said just under 3 quarts. I just hope whoever changes the oil checks the oil level prior to thinking the job is complete. I think maybe the techs at the dealership should do a little reading

Johndeere825I
12-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Purchase the cup wrench from JD (for 8 bucks!) remove the small skid plate below (3 bolts) and turn filter! Very easy I timed it and I was done in 13 mins

Deputy347k9
12-03-2011, 07:20 AM
When owner telephone thier dealerships with quesitons about the amount of oil for the 825i I really believe they are talking to someone from the counter and not a tech. All the techs I know check the dip stick each and every time they service a piece of equipment. Those at the counter, bring up the specs on line and quote you the misprint! I too had to bring the quanity misprint to the attention of my dealership.

When I am changing the oil on my vehicle or any of the equipment I have a large bright sign that goes over the steering wheel, "NO OIL DON"T START" Once filter has been replace, oil added and I have properly check the stick I then start the unit and check for leaks, no leaks, sign comes off. :Hwdy:

Waterdog08
12-03-2011, 01:13 PM
I had the same issues too. Only my filter came apart and had to chisel mine down to the mounting plate at the block and use needle nose pliers to spin it off. 6hrs total.

Alretired
02-01-2012, 09:30 AM
I also encountered problems with the oil filter being tight on my first oil and filter change. I used a strap wrench I purchased at my local JD Dealer that uses a 1/2" drive and all I accomplished was to crush the filter and not break it loose. I finally got it broke loose using an old end wrench with rubber insert. It certainly didn't become hand loose until approx. 1/2 turn. I don't understand why the initial filter is so tight.

plateauman57
02-01-2012, 11:04 AM
hmmmmmm, tis time for my machine and after reading all these posts i'm thinking it's time to take it in and let them do it. so what's up, JD puts it on so tight so you'll have to bring it in to them so you can be charged. guess i'll call and see what they charge to service it before taking it in.

Deputy347k9
02-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Takes you so long on the first change that without question you will be a pro for all future changes. I like changing the oil myself as I can look around for any potential problems, besides it's a learning experience.

Larry in ME

Zephyr74
02-01-2012, 12:37 PM
As we speak my 825 is at the dealership getting its first oil change. I read all the of trouble people have been having and decided to let the dealer do it. They are charging me $80. They said the oil filters are hard to take off on the initial oil change because the factory puts the oil filter on dry.

But they are also doing a "bumper to bumper" inspection for free. I will post on a previous thread or start a new thread when I get it back with the parts they found bad and replaced (its been in the dealership since 1/18 waiting for parts).

offroad2000
02-01-2012, 01:16 PM
maybe someone mention this before but the reason the filter is so hard to remove the first time is because its spun on dry at the factory so theres less chance of it becoming loose
in shipping thats why when you replace it they tell you to apply oil to the seal,the heat of the engine glues the rubber to the block which makes it a SOB to get off,if you think its hard on a gator try it on an argo i own a new one and the first oil change made me learn new swear words no ones heard of.

plateauman57
02-01-2012, 04:21 PM
well, being one that likes to tinker in the garage i stopped by the JD dealer and picked up some oil, a filter, and a wrench (not sure if they gave me the one some on here suggessted). so, will see how it goes this afternoon on this wet dreary day in Tennessee. Not much else to do so here goes.

plateauman57
02-01-2012, 06:54 PM
well i did it. for a few minutes i was regretting it tho. i went with the belt strap wrench that my parts guy suggested. only thing it did was bend the filter. i finally gave up on it for fear it was going to rupture the filter and cover my face with oil. i finally was able to get some big chanel lock pliars on it and turn it about a quarter inch at a time until i got it loose enough to turn with my hand. maybe the belt strap wrench will work on the next oil change. anyway, took a little over an hour but i had nothing better to do at the time.

Snowman
02-07-2012, 12:12 AM
I had the same issue with getting the oil filter off last week. I have never in my life had to use a cheater pipe on my 3/8 ratchet to get a oil filter off before.

bulldog
03-15-2012, 09:13 PM
My first oil change was a nightmare too. Started at 4:00 finished at 8:15. Gott a cap wrench at john deere would not budge it, just bent the edges and kept slipping off. Went to a local mechanic he let me borrow a belt wrench said it would do the trick, I really thought it would too. Well so much for that bent the the medal piece that the belt was attached too, but did squeeze ever drop of oil out of the belt. Ended up going to 3 parts stores getting 2 different wrenches and buying my mechanic a new one of his.Finally got it off with one that grasps the filter as you use your ratchet. Think the Chinese put these on the motors?

Deputy347k9
03-15-2012, 09:22 PM
I think John Deere has a big ass robot that installs the filters! After the first change it's a brezze. Look at it this way, we all have experienced it and can't wait for the new guys to try it!:strpot:

Larry in ME

jdman
03-15-2012, 10:08 PM
:IAgre:
I think John Deere has a big ass robot that installs the filters! After the first change it's a brezze. Look at it this way, we all have experienced it and can't wait for the new guys to try it!:strpot:

Larry in ME

Penny
11-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Carquest sells an adjustable wrench. It fits filters from 2.5 inch diameter up. It fit the oversize filter that came with my 825i. I did use a short piece of pipe over the handle of my socket wrench to break the seal. Go easy, it only takes a minute.
I was surprised that the old filter was a half inch larger in diameter and longer than the replacement my JD dealer sold me. I even checked with them to make certain they hadn't screwed up. The dealer acted very surprised when I told him the original filter was much larger than the replacement he sold me.